Tree Peony question

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi - I'm hoping for some advice....
I have a small tree peony. It's about 4 years old now. Every year there are shoots from the base that resemble herbaceous peony shoots. I was not sure if it was "rootstock" or not, and pruned them. Now I'm not so sure. Each year this little tree produces two huge outstanding purple flowers, but never grows any bigger. If anyone can give me some advice, etc. I'd be grateful!
Thanks!
Tamberlin

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Try Martha Stewart's website. She loves them and grows them. Once she had an article about them in her magazine. I've had no experience at all with them. Good luck.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tree+peony+culture&btnG=Google+Search

Here's an entire page of links to tree peony culture. I hope you find the answer to your question.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I had one for 2 years but it died this winter. It never flowered.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you! I found the info that I needed on one of the google links. I have some work to do this fall removing the rootstock if the tree has sufficient roots....
Dave - My tree peony had some damage from our teaser spring in January and the freeze right after. This tiny plant produces the most insane flowers! My mom has great success growing them right on the coast in Maine. Hers are about 3 ft tall now. Are you going to give it another try?
Tamberlin

Worcester, MA

If you don't know this yet - prune out the sprouts that grow from the base (below the soil line). Treat them like suckers.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks to both of you. I would like to give it another shot. They are just so beautiful.

I went to a tree peony site and was astounded at the prices: hundreds of dollars. I'm not so sure I want to plunge in at those prices.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Ok, my confession: my peony is a "bare root" from Home Depot. It's approx. 4 years old in my garden. About 1/2 that time it was in a pot so it really hasn't had time to really grow. I think it cost me about $9??
Tamberlin

Beachwood, OH

I got mine at Costco bare root 2 years ago for $6 each. The Cinnabar Ramparts bloomed last year. This year with our heavy snow the one bud got knocked off. The foliage is very pretty though - almost reminds me of large sized bleeding heart foliage, and has a nice reddish tinge at the edge of the leaf and a bluish center. I know they will get 4' x 4' so plan to move one to another long term location.
Can't wait to have them be like 10 yrs old and covered with flowers.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Those are GREAT prices. I got mine at an annual nursery close-out for maybe $20 and that is a great deal.
So, Pirl, one can search for a sale.

I've seen them locally at $20. a stem but if I'm going to jump into the water I'd rather have something that makes a big splash faster. I'm older than you, Dave, and don't want to sit around waiting for 4 years. The huge prices are on the Martha Stewart site and others.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Cricket Hill Gardens in Thomastown, CT grows amazing Chinese Tree Peonies ($50 to $150). Website is http://www.treepeony.com/

I confess mine is one of two $5 plants I picked up elsewhere at a bargain sale. Nice yellow bloom, but it only lasted a week. (A dog peed on the other one and killed it.)

Makes you want to pee on the dog, doesn't it?

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Most of my daffodils didn't flower this year. I believe it is probably due to large amounts of golden retriever pee.....

Photo: Andrew looking sorry....

Tamberlin

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh how can you resist that look!??? he is such a good looking dog!!! and very friendly too!!!!

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Bishops Orchards had them in 6 inch pots with a little starter shoot for $6 a plant about 4 weeks back for any CT folks in the Guilford area.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Kassia -
I have a VERY unhappy dog this morning. He rolled in manure and got a shampoo bath as a result. Of course, I got soaked too.
He is a good gardening companion, just sits and watches....
and barks when the mailman shows up...
did you see my message on the Roses forum that I have stinging nettle here for you?
Deb

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

yes!!!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

How could anyone be mad at an adorable face like that?

My dog rolls in dead things. Yup. he hates the bath afterwards too.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

At least your dog doesn't EAT dead things.... Andrew did bring me some interesting finds from the woods this year....

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

and Lilly loves fresh mulch... she was rolling and I just scared her silly!!!!! I screamed and run after her and cleaned her... he eyes are always very dry... she is already blind of one eye and I have to do all I can to save the other... poor thing...

One of my long ago pets lost an eye but she remained cheerful to the end.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

pirl, it breaks my heart... she is getting lost and trying to figure out where she is... and she is running into things... so of course I pick her up and try to avoid her being lost... I love this dog so much it scares me... I can't sleep if she is not in bed with me... I take her everywhere I can... she is really important to me... I am sure you guys can understand that!!!

People who haven't had a pet may not understand the attachment but I'm on my 13th pet now so I do know the feeling, Kassia. I don't know who said it but there's a quote I love:
I wish I could be the person my dog thinks I am.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.