Please help determine this Iris

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

My tag says Siberian Iris, 'Berlin Tiger', yet comparing my bloom to others named 'Berlin Tiger' it looks more like Iris pseudacorus. What do y'all think?

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.botanikfoto.com/en/443053.php
I think that is what it is....Berlin Tiger - Iris Pseudacorus

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

So do you think I need to move it from a full sun area in the middle of my back yard to a bed near the water at the fishing pond?

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Deb,
Did I send you that? If so it was sold to me as Berlin Tiger, I have also seen BT sold as TB & other's. Same name but yet not even close. :)Anita

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Anita, you could have, you've sent me such wonderful assortment of care packages last fall. I wanted to add it to plantfiles since there's not a Siberian listed in pf with cultivar named 'Berlin Tiger'. But before I do, I want to heed Dave's rules of submission first by knowing for sure it's species id. When I googled Siberian Iris 'Berlin Tiger' I found a yellow flag iris with the cultivar named 'Berlin Tiger' that looks so close to my bloom (our bloom lol). I want to positively Id it so I can add it to pf if it is truely a siberian. If not, and it is Iris pseudacorus, then it would love my bog garden better than the dry bed its in now.
Deborah

Edit to say: Yep, your dave's name is on the back of my metal marker. I just love it regardless of its species but I would like to know for sure. Definately apropriated named 'Berlin Tiger' with it's color and stripes.

This message was edited May 7, 2007 8:40 PM

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Want to add that this Iris has a huge rhizone too, if that makes a difference in determining its species. Calling all Iris experts........

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Here's what AIS says about Berlin Tiger

BERLIN TIGER
(Tomas Tamberg, R. 1988), LAEV, 36" (90 cm), M
"Yellow with intense brown lines, darker brown signal. Holden Clough X unknown. Schoeppinger 1990 "

Here's the entry in PlantFiles. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/107315/index.html It's a Cross of Holden Clough, which is an I. chrysographes X I. pseudacorus cross, and another unknown iris. Therefore, I think it's best described as a Species Cross, or Species X iris. Definitely a hybrid anyway. Anyone disagree with that?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

That description matches mine. I'll reference the pf info into my journal for my records. Thank you Janet and JoanJ for the id and especially NYVOICE99 for sending this beauty my way!

Deborah

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Berlin Tiger (Tamberg 1988) is labeled on Mr. Tamberg's website as Iris pseudacorus hybrid BERLIN TIGER. And I think would be properly described as Joan states as Spec-X.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll add Species X to my journal mainly for referencing other cultivars that would also fall into this catagory. I may move this Iris to a damper site later in the fall.

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Deb,
Please let me know how yours makes out moving it to boggy condition's, I have thought about moving part of mine to wet conditions & seeing how well it will do.
This is my clump, planted at the dry end of my bed. I think I have had it about 5 years, very FAST growing.
:)Anita

5-8-07

Thumbnail by NYVOICES99
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll let you know how it does when I move it. Right now it is competing for water with a Japanese maple and several thirsty daylilies in an island bed smack-dab in the middle of my west facing back yard. (Big mistake with my shade loving Jap maple too) I should have planted this particular Iris in a damper garden in the first place. That was before I knew anything about Iris species. Siberian and pseudacorus both like damp areas with the latter able to take more. Since ours is a cross of both, I feel it would do better near my pond.
Your five year old fast growing clump appears to be happy right where it is. When will yours start blooming in NY?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, when you girls start moving and dividing, please keep me in mind! It is a beauty!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Will do Janet!

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Did do Janet, it went out this morning for you:)

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Sorry Deb,
Missed your question:( Mine wont bloom till June here..
:)Anita

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's to add some confusion.

From Irises by Claire Austin

"Berlin Tiger is a seedling of Holden Clough, along with Roy Davidson."

"Iris Holden Clough (D Patton 1971). When Sydney Linnegar registered this cultivar he commented that in form it resembled I. pseudacorus and that it was a cross between pseudacorus and chrysographes, Others, however, have said it could be a cross between pseudacorus and versicolor, ensata, or since it tends to be evergreen, foetidissima,"

Ms Austin labels it "Interspecies Hybrid"

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Quoting:
Ms Austin labels it "Interspecies Hybrid"

So, then Species X covers it, no?

Lebanon, OR

Here is a picture of BT taken last year

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I would say so Joan.

Sure is a pretty one.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yippeee!!!!!!! Thanks Anita, you are a doll!

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Blush...Blush, Your so kind Janet:)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.