Bee skeps

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I posted this on the Garden Talk forum, but y'all might be a better resource. I'd like to make a bee skep for the garden -- one of those bell-shaped hive things. I don't plan to harvest honey or anything, or even for bees to take up residence. But from the pictures I've seen through googling the matter, I can't tell if there is a floor to the thing. Anybody familiar with these? Any advice?

Thanks!

Ann

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

OK, you got me curious, so I had to go look these up. This article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_bole describes a base that the skep sits on, so it sounds as if there is no bottom.

Cool idea. I hope you post a picture if you go ahead with your idea.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I'll post a picture all right. I'm thinking instead of coiling straw I might coil pine needles, but who knows. Thanks for the encouragement!

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Ann, I've had 2. The first one had a bottom and fell apart rather quickly. The second one has no bottom and so far, so good. I've had it for about 6 yrs now. I think with the first one, that the constant moisture on the bottom was the reason for it's early demise, but that's just a guess on my part. Both were/are kept outside, with no protection. Good luck on making one and please do post pictures!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much for the input, terryr! Experience certainly influences the decision.

I'm also trying to figure out whether it's legal to keep one! If there are no bees, it's a moot point, I suppose, but the way the law here is written, it looks like I'm obliged to do all sorts of things if I keep bees, even for personal reasons. I'm thinking that just means if I'm harvesting honey, but I'm not sure. I've written the Texas A&M guru and hope he gets back to me. Ah, well. But even if this is entirely decorative, I think it's a cool thing to have.

But with the bee situation right now, I think giving harbor to the wild ones is not a bad idea. Most counties in Texas are under quarantine because of the AHBs, but not over here in the east.

Well isn't that interesting! I wouldn't think they're illegal because I bought one locally, but then again I can buy plants that are on our states invasive list. Mine was sold for decorative purposes only, both of them. I'm not sure what either are made out of, some sort of natural material, almost reminds me of some sort of grass or something. I know the first one that fell apart was made of something different, the one with the bottom on it. The bottom was also made with whatever it is, so I think that's what probably did it in. Just held too much moisture all the time.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And I spoke too soon! Jefferson County (just south of Hardin, where I live) has determined we have AHBs.

I think I'll rethink the whole thing.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Bummer. I dread having them around here - know they are very close.

Oh, that's too bad! Maybe you have a screened in porch or something that you could put it on a bench or something?

Raleigh, NC

Has any body put a bee skep outside and actually had bees go and reside in it?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm still weighing the pros and cons - and it may well be too late for this season. I've seen a few honeybees and several bumblebees (did you know "dumbledore" is an old British word for bumblebee?) and would like to harbor some. What kind of homes do bumblebees have? Anyone know? I mean, do they have societies like honeybees?

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

Stolen from this Site: http://www.bumblebee.org/nestboxes.htm

The bumblebee on the the right is a Bombus terrestris, though you wouldn't know it from the photograph as she is so covered in pollen. B. terrestris tend to have large nests that last for a few months. They are also the species that are sold commercially to pollinate crops, as they are considered the easiest species to domesticate. Every tomato you eat has been pollinated by a bumblebee. Usually terrestris nest at the end of a tunnel leading to an abandoned mouse or vole nest.

* Don't be too tidy, that small pile of twigs and leaves may look like rubbish to you, but it might provide a home to a colony.
* An upturned flowerpot with a roof slate and some nesting material could provide a nest site. The very best nesting material is the contents of a mouse or other small mammal's nest, but clipped pieces of dried grass or dry moss will do. It is important that there are no ant nests close by as they will rob the bumblebee nest in the early days.
* An old teapot buried in the ground with the spout providing an entry tunnel makes a good secure nest site if it can be kept free from damp.
* I have heard from some people in the US that their bumblebees prefer to nest in north facing sites. This is probably due to the hotter summers they are lucky to have, or some UK residents might say it is simply due to the fact that they have summers! Whereas in this damp, green island summer sometimes happens one warm sunny afternoon and is gone till next year.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

bumblebee.org -- there really is something on the net for everything! Very interesting page, too.

Gives me ideas...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.