Composting Options?

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I would like to set up composting on my property and am researching the various options. We have both food composting and yard clippings in mind.

Food composting: for 3 months in summer, 2 households totalling 10 people would contribute to the compost bin. For the remaining 9 months of the year, only 3 people.

Yard composting: What would be a solution for leaves/ branches from 30-40 small to mid-size trees plus 2.5 acres of lawn clippings (every other week)?

We have plenty of space cleared and ready for composting and are now in the research phase of the project. We are open to both homemade and store-bought solutions. We have experience with very simple composting: a garbage can with the bottom cut out and holes poked in the top for circulation. Definitely ready to upgrade the system!

Thanks for any input/ guidance!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

For the branches and other large items, a chipper/shredder would help spead up the breakdown remarkably and allow for a better mix of browns and greens. Sure wish I had one. We use the three bin method, built out of free pallets wired together.

Looks like you're doing your research!

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Great! We have a chipper. Zeppy, with your 3-bin unit, do you have easy access to the composted soil?

What should I consider when choosing composting units? What do they look like?

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

fwiw, I had great success composting using the 3 pile method last summer.

no fancy bins. just a heap sitting in the sun

my black plastic composter (I've had zero success with it) is going in the garage sale......

for me, low tech is the way to go

I piled up leaves layered with compost from last year in a 'log cabin' bin. The logs are 4 feet long and stacked like a log cabin, with lots of air circulation. It now stands about 4 feet high

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
2.5 acres of lawn clippings

The best place for lawn clipping is to leave them on the lawn.

- Brent

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

if you gather up the lawn clippings, let them dry first. If you pile green/wet clippings, you will get a pile of moldy slime.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the tip about the lawn clippings. What are favorite methods for composting branches and food (obviously, in separate containers or piles)?

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I have a small composting setup for my 1/4 acre suburban yard (two of the small plastic EarthMachine type composters). I just do not have the space or patience to compost branches. If I had storage room a couple extra dollars one I would love a chipper/shredder. If you have an out of the way area you could compost un-chipped branches, but I suspect they would take several years to break down.

Over the summer months you may be producing a decent amount of kitchen waste. Do you have a plan for a supply of browns to mix with the green waste? I try to save a bag or two of shredded leaves to mix with my kitchen scraps during the summer. If you have a supply of shredded leaves in the fall I would suggest you create a bin of at least 1 cu yard in size just to store leaves. I also mix shredded paper into my compost bucket.

- Brent

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Brent. Apart from clearing the composting area, we have no plan yet at all! There is plenty of space, even for things that take a long time to break down, so we'd like to include that in the scheme.

About food composting: What is an Earth Machine? Where can I learn more about one? Also, why do you need to add browns to the green waste?

We're starting from the beginning -- not yet in the know. Any tips on where to research more?

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Brent,

Do you think your shredded paper is mixing well w/ your compost? I have a 1 yr. old compost pile, mostly shredded leaves & grass clippings, interspersed w/ household veg trimmings/old stuff & coffee grounds-I'm pulling out the plant skeletons & branches that I hoped would break down. I have a whole bag of shredded paper from work, but I'm afraid it won't break down fast enough...

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

"Earth Machine" is a popular brand of compost bin. I have one of those that I purchased at a sale sponsored by the county and another one that is a "Soil Maker" brand that I purchased at Costco. They are decent bins but only hold 10-12 cu ft of material. If I had room and a place that was out of view of the neighbors I would love a 3 or 4 bin system where each bin was a full cubic yard. I still think that a small, enclosed bin would be handy for composting kitchen waste because it would help keep out curious animals (and my dog).

Here is a link with an Earth Machine compost bin: http://www.eco-gardening.com/182-13/earth-machine.php I purchased both of my bins for $25-$35.

I mostly just mix enough shredded paper in my compost bucket to absorb moisture and to help keep the bucket clean. Others have reported success composting shredded paper and the little that I use seems to break down very fast.

- Brent

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

last year I was 'between paid employments' and had lots of time on my hands, so everything that went on to the compost heap was chopped up. Excess zucchini, weeds, ugly lettuce leaves, over ripe cucumbers all got hacked up and composted.

Tree branches are on their own pile at the farthest corner of the property, left whole. (cover for wildlife is the official reason, can't be bothered is the REAL reason)

the dry grass clippings were added in layers with the other offerings, and once you add water to dried grass, the pile starts cooking. (think of the heat generated when wet hay is put into a barn, spontaneous combustion...... and barn fires.....)

In the spring I cut the stems from last years perennials, and those get chopped up and layered with grass clippings on the pile. the next rain will start the cooking process in this year's heap...... YUM!

I would mix the dry grass clippings and shredded paper in a wheelbarrow first, then add to the pile..... toss lightly, like a salad....

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

no reason to keep the kitchen waste seperate as you seem to have said at some point. Piece of plywood on top really helped mine stay moist in summer sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.