Your Favorite Greenhouses

Willis, MI

Here are my favorites: Schwartz's Greenhouse, Lucas Nursery, English Gardens, Great Lakes Roses (Its roses only, but you can't find a better greenhouse for roses and they only carry disease resistant and winter tolerant roses), Clyde Smith (though I heard it closed this year), Randazzo's for trees and bushes and Banotai's only because it's close to home.

Willis, MI

I would of said Blocks, but I don't think I have made it through there without being frustrated from the crowds. I just need to find the right time to go. Probably first thing in the morning would be best.

Rochester Hills, MI(Zone 5b)

In the Metro-Detroit area I'm partial to Wiegands Nursery http://www.wiegandsnursery.com/ - they have a great selection, especially in Vegetables, and the prices are acceptable. They have lots of varieties, and I've always been able to find what I need there. Bordine's is acceptable, and they're closer to my house, but their prices are somewhat higher and I don't feel they have as much variety in vegetables as Wiegands.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I really like the country side in shelbyville and we have traveled to allendale to countryview it also is very large prices very good we thought. But the home depot has a very good selection of plants also. Walmart not so good. There are several nice little place to go around allegan county. Some of the private g.h. think there plants are made of gold. There is one in allegan I want to go to its called grannys bloomers I havent made it there as of yet. Have fun gardening. Ronna

Otsego, MI(Zone 5b)

Gardenlady123....let me know what you think of Granny's Bloomers. Big Top has the best looking stuff around here I think, Meijer's 2nd, and I agree with you on Walmart.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I have been resisting going to big top I ve been having allergies pretty bad but I have thursday off I thought I would then. But they usually do have a pretty good assortment. Have you ever been to grannys bloomers? ( Did big top have any astelbies??? ) I think they are so pretty but I do not have good luck with them at all. Ronna

Otsego, MI(Zone 5b)

No, I haven't been to granny's, thats why I want you to tell me what its like. I don't remember if they had astilbe's, I don't care for them so I don't take notice. I didn't have good luck with them either. Mary

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

When I lived downstate I used to LOVE going to Saguaro Rare Plant Nursery. I would load up a bunch of the garden club ladies and we'd drive out there and spend all our money. Ha ha ha. They have the more unusual plants that you don't find at your Home Depots or local places. If I'm looking for cheap annuals or common plants I would go to Blocsk since they're cheapest and have good stock and selection. Saguaros also has a big selection of pond plants if you have a pond.

I know they were up for sale some time ago so I'm not even sure if they are still open but here is the contact information if you want to check it out.

Saguaro Rare Plant Nursery

470 5 Mile Rd

Whitmore Lake MI 48189-9553

734-449-4237
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, your local garden clubs have spring plant sales and auctions. Find out where they meet and call and ask about it. THey often are open to the public and you can get some really great plants for very little money. Our garden club had an auction this week and I bought some very nice plants and have them in the ground. I got some blue iris which I've never had before and some lily of the valley that I've always wanted but never bought. I got big clumps of both for just a couple bucks.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Here are 3 more I used to go to all the time when I lived downstate. They were all located on the same road within miles of each other. I want to think they tore down Good's but not sure. Here is the contact information for those.
I also liked to go to Armans in Westland for trees and shurbs. I bought the most beautiful tri-colored beech tree from them but had to leave it when we sold our house. :(

Now that we are in AuGres I go to Rogers for most of my trees or shrubs. Their stuff is healthy and they guarantee it and will even come and plant it for you for a fee. When buying large trees that is a bonus for me. I have re-bought my tri-colored beech tree from them. It is healthy and pretty but needs years to catch up to where my old one was at when we moved.

If you know of any good nurseries where I live now I'd like to know.

Superior Nursery & Landscape
10190 W Plymouth Rd
Plymouth MI 48170
734-459-6500

Plymouth Nursery Home & Garden
9900 Plymouth Ann Arbor Rd
Plymouth MI 48170
734-453-5500

Good's Nursery
51225 Ann Arbor Rd
Canton MI 48187-1004
734-453-2126

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

wowow...Loon..if I had known..we just killed..thousands of Iily of the valley...Watch where you put it...this is the second year of trying to get rid of it...love the flowers..and smells..but that is it...no more for me... Glad you are getting..some plants..

Have a happy day....Smiles..Diana

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I planted it under my big old pine tree. It can spread all it wants to under there. It is an old flower that I just love and hope it grows. It is something I never see at the nurseries. I hope mine multiples like yours has.

Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

My very favorite place is Barson's in Garden City. It's on Merriman between Ford Road and Middlebelt. I have gone there for years for perennials and I love wandering through the greenhouses. Nothing fancy but a true nursery. And if you are into ponds they have a lot of what you need.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

the closet ones are childs feeds and the greenery I go to the greenrey every year to see what thy have. there are a lot of small nurserys around here.
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I used to go to Barson's Greenhouse when I lived in Garden City. They do have a lot of pond plants. He used to come and speak to our garden club and wouldn't charge a speaker's fee either. Very nice people. I used to like to wander through the greenhouses too. They had lots of perennials.

Up here so far I shop at In Season Landscaping and Rogers. In Season has just beautiful healthy plants. I was there today buying some annuals. I spotted a beautiful elderberry plant. It gets quite big. I am not sure where I could plant it. I'll have to eyeball a spot and go back and buy one. They didn't have that many.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wannabegardener how do you kill lily of the valley??? I have some I want GONE!!!! Loon do you still want more? Ronna

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Haha...well...you buy round up..and spray it..many times..often..two a week..then..you cover it over with black plastic..and then with mulch, on top. Then in the spring..see if any comes back..if so ..spray again.this is the second year..for killing it..last year..we did not cover it over..with the black plastic..and mulch...In another area..we did..and it worked there.so far..of course..it comes up like in between pathways of bricks..but you have to keep at it..really I do love the blooms...and the smells..but...it takes over..from...about 6 plants..it spread..to 5 feet wide..by 24feet wide..grows in the grass..hehe...everywhere..so I will give it up...It may take more years..but I can put pots..on the mulch...It is going..out of my life...lol...Round up says on the container..you can plant..after the plants die...well I am still waiting..lol...some day... good luck Ronna. Smiles..Diana

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

Lilies of the valley! My favorite. I wouldn't care if the took over the whole yard. Hubby might, though.

Thumbnail by MsKatt
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, now ya'll are scaring me with this take over talk. :) I planted mine under the pine tree so it can fill in there all it wants to. Outside of that area I mow so anything that spreads will get mowed down each week. I'll just keep what I planted for now thanks and keep an eye on it. Does anyone have the pink lily of the valley?

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

No, Loon...I wish I did! Let me know how it does under your pine tree. I have two HUGE ones in the front yard that I'd like to plant under!

Michelle

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well mmock I was going to go grannys bloomers tommorow sat the 11th. But I can not remember where it it located I lost my shopper that the ad was in and I can not find the phone number in the book. Oh well. But I did go to Big Topon fri. 10th and you are right once again they do have a very good assortment. Ronna

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Lily of the Valley...Yes you want..to plant it where nothing else will grow..that is great..it will grow..for sure...keeps down the mud...lol...and it is green..I have limited..area...and I want to have other things..there were other things planted with it..but they were choked..out..all shade stuff...I am sure it will grow..for you under Pine trees....lol...When they bloom you can send me a wiff...

smiles..Diana...

Willis, MI

If any of you see a Weeping Candied Apple Crabtree while your out shopping, please let me know. I can't find one anywhere! Though I haven't checked Lucas Nursery yet. That's a good one for trees and shrubs.

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

Arrowhead Alpines in Fowlerville of all places. Tons of unusual things, the catalog is not for the novice as plant names are official names and descriptions can be "interesting".

I went looking for hardy cyclamen (half a doz varieties) and cordalysis (another dozen) and ended up spending 4 hours just looking at things. (and this was during the cold snap a few weeks back.

~Chills

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.