Too late to sow seeds?

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi, everyone! I'm new to DG and new-ish to gardening in earnest, especially from seed. At our old house we had a few long narrow flower beds that we filled with plants from the commercial nurseries, but now we have a real yard and I'm on a mission. After a big health scare and depression, gardening is my exercise of choice. Good for the body and soul.

Anyhoo, I just received an order of seeds and would like input on whether it's too late to start any of these. I hope not. :-) These are going to be started in containers on the back patio, unless you say otherwise.

Red-leaf Hibiscus (Hibiscus acetosella)

Sunset, Manihot, Sweet, Edible Hibiscus (Amelmoschus manihot)

Purple Majesty Millet (Pennisetum glaucum)

Mixed green & red Amaranthus, Pony Tails (Amaranthus caudatus)

Red Canna Lily/Indian Shot

October Rose Hibiscus (Hibiscus Radiatus)

Busy Lizzy Impatients --mixed colors (l. walleriana)

Flamingo Feather/Pink Celosia (Celosia spicata wheat type)

Yellow/Gold "Little Jimmy" Angel Trumpets (Brugmansia)

Red Texas Star Hibiscus (Hibiscus coccineus)

Heirloom Morning Glory collection: (Star of Yelta, Native Blue/Ivy Leaved, Heavenly Blue, Orange/Scarlet Star) (Ipomeoea purpurea, Ipomoea hederacea, Ipomoea tricolor, Ipomoea coccinea, respectively)

Butterfly Garden collection: (Pink Cinderella Butterfly Milkweed--Asclepias, Yellow/Orange/Gold Butterfly Weed--Asclepias, Candlestick Cassia/Cassia Alata/Senna Alata/Candelabra Bush, Mexican Sunflower Torch--Tithonia rotundifolia)

Golden Rain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata)

Thank you so much for any input. This is such a nice forum!

I'm a late bloomer. heehee
Robin (Spring Hill, FL zone 9a)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Robin,

I don't know all the plants you are trying from seed, but, the impatiens sprout best when the weather is a little cooler. Some will come up and they do best in pots during the heat and humidity of summer. I am a litlle warmer than you so they might do better in your yard than the ones I see here.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.