bloom master planters

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

and the other

Thumbnail by onewish1
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Those are looking mighty nice! My DH was just wondering why our planters don't hang down like other peoples.

Do you have plants growing straight up from the top? All of bloommasters' were the same shape, no matter what they planted. Yours are more interesting because they don't all have the same silhouette. Good work, Allison. You must have spent a good hunk of change for those, according to the prices they show.

x, C

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

there are things planted on the top and sides..... hate to say this but anything on hand got thrown into them.... I ran out of plants... not very good planning on my part... that's why they are so colorful.... i planned on having one with the coral and greens and one with purples and yellows... BUT.... whatever I had on hand got put in there.... hopefully next year I can plan these things out a bit better... I am assuming they trim those plants to have the perfect round shape for the photos

I don't mind spending money on something I can use over and over .... I figured they are all made from plastic and should last quite some time.... yes expensive but I thought they were worth it

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Are they heavy enough to reuse?
I like your planters better than theirs!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes very thick plastic.... they feel very strong... and weigh a ton when filled

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful! Gotta get me some!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

lovely!!

a must have and a must do!! :)

Susan

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am getting more compliments from the neighbors with this one.... the one actually said thanks for making our block more beautiful

Thumbnail by onewish1
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Question: What is the tall dark red flower in the back right hand side of the last photo?

Your planters are beautiful. My favorite container so far is one with a dark red/dark green coleus which is about 1 foot tall and has bushed out, a hot pink mini wave petunia and a gold lantana. The butterflies are all over the latana.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

an annual coreopsis

http://www.dianeseeds.com/coreopsis-dwarf-red.html

the yellow ones in my basket are biddens golden eye.... they just get bigger and bigger.... but next year I am going to get some latana .... I was at a nursery over the weekend and they smell wonderful

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

seemed to be time for an update... the petunias are kind of leggy but not terrible

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

funny how the plants are taking turns blooming

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

can't believe it is touching the ground already

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

last month this was my fav.... now.... not so much

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

i do like the purple & lime greens together

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

this might be a nicer shot of the last one

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the left side of this one is kind of lopsided now that the petunias are crazy

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

this month.... this one is my favorite

:::edit:::: believe it or not I ran out of plants and i stuck one of my floppy strawflowers i started from seed (too early i might add) just to fill the empty spot... and that's what grew at a 90 degree angle and is sticking out the back... the real tall one

This message was edited Aug 6, 2007 7:12 PM

Thumbnail by onewish1
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

So, onewish, overall, you're happy with your new planters?

xxxx, Carrie

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

i can say a big ole yes.... just wish i planted bushier plants in the tops.... like coleus .... to fill the gaps the petunias made

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Sure are some nice planters.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

last shots of ratty fall look

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

real ratty... i took cuttings off these last week... sure that doesn't help

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

box

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had a hard time getting a clear shot of these two

Thumbnail by onewish1
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I've used these for a couple of years. I inserted a tube with holes in the middle to help divert the water to all the side plants

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A mix

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that's a great idea... thank you

Joanne how many plants did you put in the last picture?

This message was edited Sep 29, 2007 10:08 AM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Love it!~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There's 2 Red Million Bells(Calibrachoas)- top, 1 Yellow Million Bells- top & 8 White Alyssum - side. For full sun plants, I found that It worked better for a hanging basket to have the alyssum along the sides. Last year I had planted all petunias & the ones along the side were shaded & more stunted than those on top. The alyssum is along a little more drought tolerant than others, so it worked well.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am thinking less is going to be more too..... none of them got real big... I think I planted too many

but I think adding those water gels between each layer helped... just think I am not going to over crowd them so much next year

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I found the best thing to do for planters is adding the Smart-cote slow release fertilizer, a little @ each level.. I some how missed on container & it was very obvious. I lined each side hole & also added a top layer for mulch of Spagham Moss. It seemed to help retain moisture.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Allison, I can't get over the coleus in your first "ratty" picture. Not only is it a fantastic color, it actually seems to be trailing... Is there really a trailing coleus?

Coleus was the first ornamental plant, by which I mean not a vegetable, I was introduced to thirty-plus years ago. To my recollection, it was GREEN, right? I got a lot of coleus in different colors and sizes at the NE Round-Up at Kassia's in the spring, and now I'm a fan. But yours really seems to be trailing!! Or maybe it's just the bloom-master effect... Inquiring minds....

xxx, Carrie

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh yes.... lots of trailing coleus

the one with the purple edges is Coleus 'Trailing Plum Brocade'

and this is the site I bought them on.... the shipping was great and it lists if they are upright mounding or trailing

http://www.rosydawngardens.com/coleus_catalog_S_Z.htm

edit -- the pictures on rosey dawn aren't that great... to get a better picture I put it in a search and found photos elsewhere... but in this post the photo shows a better/healthier shot

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3826196

the other two are Coleus 'Strawberry Drop' it also trails
and
Coleus 'Trailing Salamander'

This message was edited Sep 29, 2007 11:00 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, my word, Allison, I had no idea there were that many zillions of coleus varieties! I guess it makes sense, since I know they make 'sports' easily from seed. But oh my goodness! Too bad their shipping season is over, or I would be tempted. Put better, good thing their shipping season is over, or I would be out some serious change for coleus. Are you taking cuttings to grow inside? They'll grow inside, right?

And Allison, you should have got 'Allison', a rosydawn favorite variety! My best friend's mother just taught me about pinching to promote bushiness; she NEVER mentioned all those colors and sizes and shapes!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes I took some cuttings and might try and bring them in and see how they grow.... as long as they get enough sun they usually spring back once back outside.... I had a few that didn't fair well because I only have one south window (over my kitchen sink, worthless) and one good window in winter in the east (that window is shaded in the summer with the trees).. but after a few months the color and health came back in spring

cuttings usually have better color the next season... I read somewhere the new growth is usually healthier... also to take cuttings of my cuttings in early winter for the ones going to be used next season... but trust me doing this only one time before this... I am no expert

might have to pick up the 'Allison' next year... I didn't see that until I sent you the link and browsed again

:)

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I have just pruchased the bloom master 20" planter - I am having a hard time finding a variety of plants in cell packs - where did you get them - or did you grow them from seed?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had the same problem last year... even some of the 4" high and skinny root trainer size were too big... I squeezed a few in.... so this year I grew more from seeds & cuttings for it ... some of the larger ones I slipped through the inside but if the plants were too big that didn't work either.... a couple of the petunias were so big I split the tops of the plant between two holes at the top... LOL... just made do

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I bought flats of annuals from Costco. They were small, so it worked well.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

started this years up... link is below

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/853798/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.