clematis questions for a newbie

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I'm going to plant a climbing rose and clematis together. I read in another post to keep the clematis potted until the fall when it's larger and ready to go into the ground. So I'll do that. How big should the pot be? This clematis is little, from a co-op.

Then, the rose/clematis combo is going up and over an arbor. There will be another rose at the base of both those so I have rose color near the ground. Should I put the rose next to the arbor, then the clematis next to that and then the small rose or should I put the clematis next to the arbor, 'inside' the rose, so to speak, and let it grow out and through the rose?

My climbing rose is Mme. Alfred Carriere, my clematis is Blue Angel (type 3), and the small rose is pink posy.

Thanks,
Gwen

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gwen: Definitely "baby" that Clematis from the co-op!!! It is just an infant. It should be in at least a 1 gallon container with well amended soil until you see the roots poking out at the bottom. Also, adding bone meal helps to get a more developed root system. Then you can plant it in your garden with more confidence that it will thrive.

Plant your Roses first. Then plant your Clematis on the north side of your Roses. That will help to keep it roots shaded. Plant your Clematis at a 45 degree angle to your Roses, which will encourage more roots to form. "Help" your Clematis to entwine with the Roses. Mulch also keeps the roots moist too, but don't have the mulch touching the vines which may cause disease or wilt.

The 1st year Clematis "sleep", the 2nd year they creep and the 3rd year the "leap". So, be patient!

Good luck!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

What do you mean by 45 degree angle?

Also, shouldn't I use a smaller pot to start out with and then move to a larger one later? I've heard not to put a itty bitty plant in a big pot. Would this be an exception? I'd like to only do it once!

Gwen

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gwen:

I lay all my Clematis on their sides when planting, instead of standing them up straight. By laying it on its side, it causes more roots to come in contact with the soil, which in turn will give you a fuller/bigger plant.

If you wish, you can start with a smaller pot , however, you will be eventually moving it to a 1 gallon container as it gets larger. Personally, I just skip the small pot stage and immediately pot them into a 1 gallon container. Since you would "like to only do it once", I would recommend putting that baby into a 1 gallon container with something to let it climb on immediately.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.