Is it a vine or a weed?

East Northport, NY

How can you tell the difference between a newly sprouted clematis and a weed? Also, anyone have any novel ideas of dealing with wild onions?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

They look distinctive. Do an image google and you should be able to get some pics. On the onions, I just pull them.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I just pull them too - the onions, that is.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I dig up those miserable onions. As for the clematis - emerging shoots resemble a very tiny asparagus tip and are dark green with tinges of purple.

Don't taste as good though.

We each had 11 of them tonight, with dinner. Roasted with olive oil and garlic - yum!

I forgot to add that we grow them and I cut them 15 minutes before we ate them.

This message was edited May 7, 2007 8:16 PM

That IS yummy! They have this weird way of making your urine smell nasty though.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

My kids think it's totally cool that you pee green if you eat a lot of asparagus!
Tamberlin

Green Goblin!

It's true - it really stinks. Thank heavens we can have the windows open.

Is there any other veggie that does this?

Not that we've had any experience with to tell about.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I love asparagus too. Especially grilled. Whatever is left over winds up in my salad the next day - yumm! I found this info interesting - http://www.dietobio.com/aliments/en/asparagus.html

Thanks, Anita. So now I know it's mercaptan that causes the odor and it's because the asparagus is a detoxifier. In that article they said "gut" when they meant gout. People with gout are warned against eating asparagus, among other things.

I'll weigh them before we gorge again but with 11 asparagus each we certainly had almost double a typical serving. Around June 21st we share 55 - 60 of them for our final asparagus fest of the season.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Back on topic for a second here...here's a pic of an emerging clematis vine

Thumbnail by grampapa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.