have a problem adding a new bug

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

The order Auchenorrhyncha is not being recognized by the Bug files and I was directed to this forum.

I found the ID of my bug in my insect book of Middle and West-Europe.
I made three pictures of it to add to the Bug files.

Here is one of them

Thumbnail by bonitin
Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

bonitin,
There seems to be an ongoing onfusion over what used to be the single Order: Hemiptera.
Some authorities divided it into two Orders, Heteroptera and Homoptera, while some retained Hemiptera for the Heteroptera. My latest search suggests that the latest thinking is to retain the original order of Hemiptera, dividing it into three sub-orders:
Archaeorrhyncha
Clypeorrhyncha
Prosorrhyncha
Sternorrhyncha

Archaeorrhyncha is certainly a Sub-order and not an order.

We took the decision to retain Hemiptera and Homoptera as the Orders for the Bugs, although it does look as though we should be recombining them into Hemiptera.
We have no provision to record the sub-order.

Your bug falls into the Order Homoptera as far as BugFiles is concerned and you may find its family already in BugFiles under that Order. If the family is not present, let me know and I will see that it is added to the recognised list.

Kennedy

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Thank you Kennedy!

I have added my bug.
Bug files recognized the order Homoptera.
It didn't have my bug (Cercopos vulnerata) yet unless the rest of its name is also questioned.

I suppose I should change that (the order) in my insect book.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

The name is right as Cercopis vulnerata.

Thanks for adding it to BugFiles. I have selected one of your images to illustrate the Cercopidae family in the index: http://davesgarden.com/bf/browse/order.php?bid=108

Ken

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images