Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

The only iris I have in bloom are my old fashioned iris I dug from a deserted farm house. None of my "named" iris are blooming and no buds to be found. I am guessing due to the 17 degree weather in spring. The plants looks ok, just no blooms. The blooms were not on the plant3 when it got cold. I probably have 30 different varieties.

How did everyone else fair?

I have purchased these from an iris farm close to my house and he hasn't posted anything on his website.

Joyce

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have 2 iris blooming right now. Same variety. Another variety has a bud on it. So right now I know of only 3 that will/are blooming.

I am glad all my iris survived, but I loved looking out at the blooms and I am surprised how much I miss that. I always took them to work and sit them all over the office. Oh well....next year.

Joyce

Yeah, mine have leaves that are really tall and are looking great but only a few have blooms. It's kinda disappointing becuse several of them I got last year when Dr Norland Henderson cleaned out the iris beds at work. I have no idea what some of these will look like.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

I just bought this house 1 1/2 yrs ago, it has a very large iris patch (needs divided) I planted some dutch iris last fall. I divided some of the large patch last fall (small piece of the large patch, but made a pretty large patch itself.
I have 1 bloom out of the large patch, and 2 dutch iris's have bloomed. they just bloomed about 2 days ago though. Must be a little early.

The thunder and rain stopped for a 1/2 min and I went out and pulled weeds for a second. I have found one bloom that must of come up in the last 2 days on a hyprid iris when it warmed up. I usually have blooms all over by now clear into and past Mothers Day. Maybe they will just be late. What do you guys do about weeds growing in your iris beds? I don't mulch them so I just manual labor and pull them, the violets are winning tho.

My iris beds are so full that in most places there is no room for weeds. I pull out the ones that do manage to get in there unless they have deep roots. If they have deep roots I just forget about it because it won't come out unless I dig up the iris. Easier said than done. lol

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I just love iris. Have not seen too many blooms this year. Some of the leaves look "crinkly" like they were accordian folded. Is that from the cold weather snap we had?

Probably.

Midland, WA(Zone 8a)

I've had my house 3 1/2 yrs. Predecessor had white irises in beds next to the house -- white siding, the blooms were invisible. Last fall I pulled out all the irises from in front of the house -- two garden waste bags full! -- and planted 31 irises, 24 different kinds, every conceivable color except white. So I have one bed of all white (this fall's project) on the south side of the house, and one bed of rainbow on the west side.

First iris to bloom was white, and all 5 of its blossoms have come & gone. In the rainbow bed, 3 buds formed and rotted! But now I have 2 blooming stalks from one rhizome & another stalk from another plant about to bloom (as of this AM; with the sun & heat today the first one may be open now). No stalks from any other irises in either bed. I, too, have crinkly leaves in both beds.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I got yellow iris bloom...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

I have a yellow one that needs to be moved that's blooming and some differnt purple ones.

Thumbnail by pepper23

I have about 4 blooms total now in bloom. Usually by now everything is loaded. Tomorrow my Mom and I will go to the iris farm and see how he is doing. He has acres of irises and it is beautiful in the sprint. On Mothers day he hands out a free rizone to all the women. You can buy his iris in the spring and that is what I do instead of the fall. I have never had one fail yet. I have several rebloomers so I may have fall blooms.

To my surprise, my iris did pretty well. Here are a few pics of them. Not sure of names.

Thumbnail by

another

Thumbnail by

another 1

Thumbnail by

I love the 2 toned ones

Thumbnail by

least, but not last - a group shot

Thumbnail by
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Crystainurse:

I notice your front plant is peony?

ut oh, found one more. A bright canary yellow one.

Thumbnail by

Yes, it has been there for 3 years. This is the first year that it has bloomed so beautifully. Oh, the scent is wonderful!

Thumbnail by
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh it's so lovely white peony! I has been looking for this white only I have is pinks, pink with yellow hair.

I have to wait until I get back from Southern Calif RU.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.