A White-tailed Squirrel?

Northern, IN

I was too dumbfounded to think about taking a pic and he was only in my yard for a minute or two but I saw a squirrel with a body size and color exactly like my pet in the top image but with a white tail as white or whiter than the image below it.

I got the bottom image from Google where the only other squirrels with white tails looked much different (more scrawny) and were residents of areas over a thousand miles away e;g. Grand Canyon, etc.

I assume he'll come back and if so I'll post an actual pic but I'm so curious I thought I'd post this to see if I can get any answers in advance.

Thanks.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Leucism.

Northern, IN

Thanks for a new word...and a most likely explanation.

On reflection, the body may have had a more gray hue which would also fit your analysis.

If it weren't for the Kentucky Derby and the Bulls at Piston game at 7pm, I'd be parked outside waiting for him.

,,,but a pic in time, I hope.

Dave

Lyndonville, NY

I am happy to see this thread. We have a whole nest of "blonde" squirrels right now! I have never seen anything like it as you said. I also have been doing the camera chase. There is one that is gray body, with a bit of red....and his tail is blonde!

The mother is full gray and so have the past litters been. Two years ago, we had a tailless batch...tails were very short and thin.

Strange.

Debbie

Northern, IN

I said:

Quoting:
On reflection, the body may have had a more gray hue...

It sure does. It appears like it's simply a different specie of squirrel than I've ever seen before (or can quickly ID with Google). It is gray with a bright white underbelly and tail. It is somewhat smaller bodied than my pictured "pet" squirrels, and unlike them -- extraordinarily wary! It took me over a hour of hard work this morning just to get these two fuzzy partial pics.

I'm posting them as is because they prove that when I said it had a white tail, I meant it had a WHITE tail. This sub par 2 pic stack could be titled "Heads or Tails"

Now that this pretty and elusive critter is #1 on my photo list, I feel it's just a matter of time before I should be able to post pics adequate enough, at least, for a specific ID.

In the meantime, may a squirrel expert stumble across this thread.

P.S. I'll be off line 'til late today because I have garden chores that can't wait.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Lyndonville, NY

Wow, that really is white. Ours is more "blonde", but very out of coloring for squirrels. Mine are more friendly as coming up on the porch....but very people shy once they hear movement.

I will keep trying. Awesome shots though.

Debbie

Northern, IN

These are crops of long telephoto shots just taken.When I tried to get close he always ran up the tree. Even though fuzzy, they should be adequate enough for an expert ID. This squirrel may prove to be quite common for all I know.

Here's hoping for that ID since a lot of former Wildlife viewers seem to have left for the new Bird Watching Forum.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Lyndonville, NY

Yours have much more white than my crew I am seeing. Mostly the tail on ours. As I said before these are tri-color, with red, grey and white. We had a chilly day here and I haven't seen them.

The pictures look great. I can't believe the amount of white on the 1st guy. Almost looks like they rolled in "Miss Clairol"

Debbie

Northern, IN

Debbie,

Just to end the suspense, I've learned that this is very likely just a very rare "color phase" of the common Gray Squirrel. The reason they're smaller and shyer is only because they are younger and in brand new territory. Last evening, I learned I have two that have chosen one of my trees to call home.

Great!

I have the head biologist of the Indiana DNR calling me later today so I can completely satisfy my curiosity since they will likely be permanent residents. I'll share any interesting tidbits I get from that conversation as it might explain what you are seeing.

Dave.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Wow dw, I'm jealous! I have one "pet" squirrel that comes for the sunflower seeds at my bird feeding station but he's just a "regular" squirrel. I still think he's cute and enjoy watching him. But I'd be camped on my porch trying to get lots of pics of those little guys. What a treat. I'll keep an eye on this thread for more pics (I hope).

Northern, IN

Thanks NatureLover1950

Believe me, I know the feeling. I can hardly wait to get a more decent pic and I'll be sure to share it. It will take lots of patience and loads of Black Oil Sunflower seeds.

Debbie,

You have many more oddities and questions about squirrels than I will ever have.You may want to give your own DNR a try. They can be a free, friendly, fast and expert source of answers.

The Biologist called me yesterday and when I described what I saw and photographed he said that he thought he knew everything in the book when it came to all the various color phases of the Gary Squirrel but this was a new twist. He knew all about the "Tricolors" mentioned such as blond, red, etc. He said he's even seen black Gray Squirrels. Though he occasionally also sees white, he's never seen it to the extent I described.

So he told me to promptly email him the pictures I posted and he'd get back to me in a day or two.

I'll let you know what he has to say.

Dave

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, never seen anything like that. We have black squirrels with white on the end of their tails or a grey tail, but nothing like this. We have many gray squirrels here also, they tend to be gray to brown and very well fed. I had one with a small white spot on his side, but that was it. Great pictures, fun to see. This is proof that not everything is in the book.

Lyndonville, NY

Dave I will see what I can do calling them, soon as I get a picture for proof. Until then, here are shots from 2004, when I had my "tail-less" crew. I never saw any of them grown, so I am sure the lack of tail didn't help them any in life.

Debbie

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

Here is a view of one on my front porch.

Lyndonville, NY

Here is one of them, a bit bigger, on the tree.

Thanks for your information, I can't wait to hear what is said about your pictures.

Debbie

Northern, IN

cpartschick,

Right...now I know why the three search engines I used all failed i.e. "not everything is in the book".

P.S. I enjoy reading your stuff

Debbie,

You might just try using words as I did. If this is at all common, they will already have all the proof they need and all the answers you could imagine (imho).

Dave.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks guys. Hey those tail-less squirrels are different too. What is in the food around there? You are right, how can they survive without a tail, nothing to hang from while eating from the bird feeders.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I wonder about those squirrels with no tails. I don't know for sure but imagine they, like cats, use their tails for balance. How would they manage to jump around from limb to limb in the trees? If they couldn't live up in the trees, they wouldn't last too long in the wild. Told hubby about dw's squirrels with the white tails and had to bring him in here to show him the pics. He thinks they are really neat too. I love watching the critters that come to my yard and all the ones I see while out in the woods but it adds to the fun coming to this forum. Get to see things I would likely never see otherwise. Thanks to all for sharing.

Carmichael, CA

Can we name him Duke?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

dwdruley I had to grin when I saw your heading above....

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This little fellow was a visitor to our yard off and on over a three year period.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Northern, IN

Lilypon,

The Wildlife you enjoy in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada can often be wonderful critters we don't see down here. Do you happen know the specie of that squirrel? Tho not an exact match to our Fox ("regular") squirrel, it seems closer to the Fox than the Gray by my eye. It looks like the white is all tail and no underbelly - true?

Great pics !! May all the White-tailed squirrels of the world rise up and be counted.

GiddyMoon,

All things considered, a side bar contest for naming both squirrels seems very much in order. Age induced cobwebs are at this particular moment denying me from enjoying the full humor and significance of "Duke". Help me out on that?

The DNR biologist didn't get back to me yesterday. One random thought is that he might be distributing the pics to other DNR departments looking for a match.

However, since patiently waiting for something I eagerly want is not at all one of my virtues, I will call him tomorrow if I don't hear today.

Later,
Dave

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We have gray squirrels that are brown like that. I have never seen one with a white tail. Those are great. I am sure they would be the first ones picked off by a hawk, owl or eagle.
They look like they are waving a white flag. I would have to call him "Truce"

Northern, IN

LOL !!

Carmichael, CA

"GiddyMoon,

All things considered, a side bar contest for naming both squirrels seems very much in order. Age induced cobwebs are at this particular moment denying me from enjoying the full humor and significance of "Duke". Help me out on that?"

There isn't one, and that is what makes the name so good.

No names like whitetail, bottlebrush, foofy, fluffy...give the lil guy a name he can be proud of. One that won't make him self conscious by pointing out why the other lil squirrels are laughing at him.........Duke.

It it's a girl...Beverly :)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

dwdruley I knew the Fox Squirrel was a rather recent introduction here so did a bit of searching........

"Eastern gray squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) prefer to live in forests with oak trees where they feed on acorns, their favourite food. In Saskatchewan, these squirrels occur mainly in the eastern Qu'Appelle and nearby valleys, and are rare in other areas. Eastern fox squirrel (Sciurus niger) are less dependent on oaks, prefering the tiny two-winged "samaras" of the Manitoba Maple as their main winter food. They started to "invade" the province around 1980 and are now widespread in the southeast. Fox Squirrels appear to have invaded Saskatchewan from Manitoba and North Dakota, and they will probably continue to do so."

The underbelly is a lighter shade of red. Re their colour not being quite the same I wonder if Saskatchewan's colder winter has something to do with it? I know my Siamese cats get a darker saddle come winter and they keep it well into spring/early summer. Picture above was taken mid spring 2004.

Cpartschick re Hawks/predators we thought that too esp since our neighborhood has an owl that moves in every summer (in the trees kitty corner to our house) so I was really pleased to see the little guy (but could have been kin) for 3 summers in a row.

I imagine quite a bit of our wildlife is similar to yours.........ones that we are seeing more of lately are cougars, antelope, Moose, deer (mule and white tail), wolves and coyotes (more of a healthy balance of wildlife is occurring here now). . Personally I'm happy that hunting isn't as common as it used to be here and their numbers are steadily increasing.

re birds we are on the major flight path so come spring this province comes alive with their breeding songs I really should get down to Old Wives Lake and get some pictures from there:

Old Wives Lake Bird Sanctuary is an important breeding and moulting area for both dabbling and diving ducks, as well as small numbers of Canada Geese. Breeding species of ducks include Mallard, Gadwall, Pintail,Wigeon, Canvasback, Redhead Lesser Scaup and Ruddy Duck. The Sanctuary is also a spring and fall staging area which attracts large concentrations of ducks and lesser numbers of Canada, White-fronted and Snow Geese and Tundra Swans.

Because of its isolation, the Isle of Bays provides protective nesting habitat for the White Pelican, Black-crowned Night and Great Blue herons, Double-crested Cormorant, Western Grebe, California and Ring-billed gulls and the Common Tern.

A variety of shorebirds use the Sanctuary. Commonly breeding species are American Avocet, Marbled Godwit, Killdeer and Willet. Suspected breeders include Spotted and Upland sandpipers, Long-billed Curlew, Wilson's Phalarope, Common Snipe and the endangered Piping Plover. Common visitants are Black-bellied and Semipalmated plovers, Greater and Lesser yellowlegs, Hudsonian Godwit, Ruddy Turnstone, Red Knot, Sanderling, Red-necked Phalarope, Short-billed Dowitcher, Dunlin, and Semipalmated, Least, White-rumped, Baird's, Pectoral and Stilt sandpipers.

Other birds known or believed to nest in the area are Eastern and Western kingbirds; Barn Swallow; Sprague's Pipit; Marsh Wren; Yellow-throated and Yellow warblers; Red-winged, Yellow-headed and Brewer's blackbirds; Brown-headed Cowbird; Western Meadowlark; Chestnut collared Longspur, Lark Bunting; Clay-colored, Vesper, Savannah, Baird's, Le Conte's and Song sparrows; Northern Harrier, Swainson's Hawk, the threatened Ferruginous Hawk, Grey Partridge and Sharp-tailed Grouse.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

The migrating Whooping Crane and Sandhill Crane are often spotted near that area as well.

edited to say we also have a herd of Plains Bison (not Wood Bison) that were re-introduced to Saskatchewan's National Grasslands Park. (I'm sooooooooooooooooooo excited over that). Ü

This message was edited May 9, 2007 10:42 AM

Northern, IN

Lilypon,

If you're not a professional writer, you should be. I felt like I was reading a feature article in a nature magazine. Thanks for your scholarly yet warm contribution.

Also, congrats on your new thread at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/721491/

I will be talking to the DNR Biologist later today. Tomorrow morning I should have something official to post.

Dave

Northern, IN

I heard from the biologist yesterday and he confirmed that this is, indeed, a Gray Squirrel in a rare color phase.

The main concern I expressed to him earlier was whether all the Fox squirrels I have would drive off the new Grays. To that he said, that wouldn't happen in the wild as the Grays are quite capable of defending their own space. This in spite of the fact that the fox squirrels usually weigh between 1 1/2 - 3 lbs and the grays only 1 - 1 3/4 lbs. The grays will get scrappy when they have to. He said that as long as there is plenty of food available he feels that they should cohabitate - his biologist term.

I'll be adding BOS seed and other goodies to the two separate feeding areas I'm trying to create. When I can get a postworthy pic depends on how quickly they adjust to me and their new digs. Right now, the nearest I can get to them is 70 feet plus they are in constant full shade. I doubt that any camera exists that could get a quality close up of them under these conditions. However, the pic is a matter of when, not if.

Eventually, I will post pics on this thread that will do justice to these pretty little things (assuming, of course, that they stay with me).

So long for now,
Dave

Northern, IN

This is only a news update...

This may be what the biologist meant when he described the Gray as "scrappy". If I'm not mistaken, I do believe this little stinker is laughing at me as I try sneaking up on him.

However, at least he is well mannered enough to put on white gloves before dining - the "white gloves" being the rarity.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Great shot.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

that is great. i love the way the mouth is open. what a cutie.

Lyndonville, NY

His tail looks like a bottle brush with wire in it, awesome picture.

Debbie

Northern, IN

Thanks all.

More (and better) pics to come.

Northern, IN

Inching closer to within 40 feet of Mr. White Gloves.....

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Northern, IN

Clearly this has been more of a slide show than a discussion thread and this is the final pic I needed to complete sharing my picture story. We all know how boring slide shows can be so I'm thankful for the nearly 400 views.

This is a fuzzy pic from 80 feet that proves that I have a pair of these adorable squirrels and not just a lone one-of-a-kind stray.

The Gray almost always missing is slightly smaller and all I know is that her tail is pure white as you can see. I say "her" because my assumption is that she must be Mrs White Gloves. I assume she's frequently AWOL doing her gal thing - whatever that might be.

It would be great if I had baby Grays (running around with their little white tails wagging) in my future but that seems expecting far too much. I already feel blessed to have what I do in a busy city neighborhood backyard habitat.

That's all folks!

Dave

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Lyndonville, NY

Dave, the pictures are awesome! I thank you for sharing them. I wonder if they are siblings, and therefore probably wouldn't mate. Not sure on the nature of that issue.

My little white tailed buddy has disappeared. I am afraid he met his demise on the road. I have an expectant Mom out there, poor girl is ready to pop. Maybe she will bring another variety of squirrels to the yard.

Debbie

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I just tuned in to this thread and boy is it fascinating! I have noticed quite a bit of difference in the squirrel population in my yard this year. They have taken to sitting on my window sill and eating the seed put there for birds. So I am getting quite a close look lol. I have grey squirrels and have noticed some of them have quite a bit of red in their tails and coats. Some of them have white patches behind their ears. One has a short stumpy tail but my neighbor across the street says she thinks that is due to a run in with a cat or racoon when it was a baby. I have also noticed that almost all of mine have notches in their ears or holes in them.

Here is the one with the stumpy little tail.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Lilyfan, reading your post sounds like I could have written it. We hardly have any "just plain" grey squirrels any more. They have varying degrees of red fur - mostly their tails and hind quarters - and even different colors of red. Even the black ones have red tails and/or hind quarters. And we too have one with a short stubby tail. Pretty odd bunch!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here's one of the ones with a chunk out of their ear.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.