Squash and pumpkins in earthboxes

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi,

Has anyone growns summer and winter squash, pumpkins, in earthboxes?

The EB instructions say 6 squash plants per box, would this be for both summer and winter squash? It seems like a lot for such a small space, does it really work?

I would love any advice on growing squash, both summer and winter squash, in EBs.

Also, I would love to see photos of yours.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I just noticed your post so thought I'd add my 2 cents. For the past couple of years I have been growing assorted veggies in self watering planters n my deck. A patio tomato, peppers, eggplant, lettuce, broccoli etc, but no squash yet. This year I've added three earthboxes. I haven't planted them yet but was thinking of trying summer squash. From long experience, I would say there's no way an earthbox can support six squash plants. I've been growing squash for decades and an earthbox can only support one plant, in my humble opinion, maybe two. As a stretch, you could plant one on either end and train them to grow outside the box in opposite directions, which I was thinking of doing. One yellow squash on one end and a zucchini on the other.
Maybe someone else will jump in and dispute this and be able to tell us they have grown six per box. That would be great but seems unlikely to me. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

essentialplanet,

I agree with roseone33, I think that more than 2 would be too many. Both Zucchini and yellow summer squash will grow to be 4 feet across or more, they get pretty big!

Having said that, I usually plant mine in hills in the garden and thin to the 3 strongest plants to a hill. Maybe you should try planting 2 or 3 close together in the earthbox?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Meant to add: maybe you should post this question in the Container Gardening forum, you might get more response. Maybe Tplant will show up and answer your question! ☺

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the tip Big Red. I will post to Container as well.
Meanwhile, both of your answers confirm what I was thinking, but with EB instructions saying 6, I just had to ask!

Turlock, CA(Zone 9a)

Well I've got 6 Summer Squash in my EB and they are soooo much bigger then the 3 I planted in the ground [ course that could be that the ones in ground are fighting the bermuda grass!] I followed the instructions and planted 6- 3 Zephyr and 3 Zucchinno Rampicante[ think that's the correct spelling!]
. They are starting to sprawl a bit,but not out of control [yet!] I even have a couple baby squash!
I'll try to post a pic soon.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I also followed the EB directions and have 6 plants - all yellow squash. They are getting big and there's one 3" squash and lots of blossoms and leaves are getting big. I've never posted a picture here, so maybe this weekend I'll have time to take one and post it. I planted them on April 6. As they grew I've been wondering how they'll fit!
Also - if anyone is experienced - do you follow the advice to pick off early fruit (female) so the male blossoms can mature? I've had lots of blossoms, but only one squash, so pollination may be a problem.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

bookworm28,

I wouldn't worry too much about your blossoms not setting fruit this early. It's not unusual for the blossoms to drop and not set fruit on the early blossoms. Of course, I'm not too familiar with your weather there in Texas, may be too hot for good fruit set?

Red

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Red - I got the same advice on another thread - to be patient because it's early - and we've had quite a bit of rain. We now have some straight hot days with high humidity until today and it's wonderful! That's just to tease us because soon we'll be back to 90 plus degrees with 90% plus humidity. I'm going with your experience and be patient! This evening I noticed #2 about 1 1/2" that seems like it's hanging in there. Whoopee!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.