Oak Sawdust Compost

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I've got an interesting opportunity.

Just down the road from us, a pallet manufacturing company operated for many years, up until about 5 years ago. They used to cut the local Ozarks oak trees and make pallets from them.

The building has been torn down, and the site is being turned into a subdivision. Trucks worked for months removing the old oak sawdust, and they've piled 2000+ dump truck loads of sawdust in a six-acre area. They've applied for a permit as a "topsoil farm", and I went to a planning and zoning meeting to find out what's going on.

It turns out, they just want to get rid of the sawdust and this is the only way they can figure to do it. They're going to spread it 3 feet deep on that six acres, mix in nitrogen fertilizer, and after a year sell it to builders and nurseries as composted topsoil.

I asked the fellow what he'd do to a neighbor who slipped over there with his tractor and got some for his garden. He laughed, and told me if I really wanted to help out, I'd take about 200 dump truck loads! He said I could have all the sawdust I want.

I've got a tractor with a front end loader and I've got a big trailer, so I think I'll get a bunch. I've got three compost bins empty right now, each 10' x 10', and I think I could fill each of those about 4 feet deep with old oak sawdust.

This sawdust has sat for years without rotting down, but the company said if you add nitrogen to it, it will get hot and really start working. Does anybody here have a suggestion about just what to add, and how much?

I think in about a year, I could have a bunch of real good garden compost out of this.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Mmm, Lucky you -- I think if you add some of your magic elixir you could get useable compost in as little as 6 weeks (summertime). How do you feel about peeing into a jar or watering can? The object of the game would be to get the magic elixir into a watering can. Add water to it to top it off, and water your pile.. Do it consistently (once a day) and make sure the bottom of the pile gets elixir. There is no recipe and no certain ratio of water to elixir. Just get some liquid nitrogen on there and keep it coming. I've heard beer-based elixir has added benefits.

Suzy

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

Ozark~ WOW lucky you in your find. I would add anything that is rich in nitrogen. Here are a few ingredients that I use to get my compost pile cooking.

Alfalfa pellets
(green) grass clippings
manure
Kitchen scraps
blood meal
coffee grounds

I forget the ratio of greens to browns. Too much nitrogen and it gets really slimy and stinky. Too much browns and it takes FOREVER to compost. You need a good mix of both. I just toss in all of my ingredients and mix well. If it doesn't heat up then I add more nitrogen. I turn my pile every other day and water everyday. Turning the pile is very important if you want it to compost fast. Maybe others can give you the exact ratio of greens to browns for sawdust. I think that sawdust takes a little longer to compost. I have never had that much to try it. Keep us updated on your progress. That is neat!!

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the suggestions, I got a big load of sawdust over the weekend, and I'll start working some nitrogen in there.

Suzy, that's an interesting idea but I don't think I'll donate personally. We live on a 6 acre wooded place, not visible to any neighbors. The grandkids often hang around when I'm working in the garden, and for some weird reason they all think it's a treat to get to pee on the ground.

Boys, girls, whatever - they're little and they think that's fun. So, when they're out at the garden and they say they gotta go, I'll just send them to the compost pile instead of the woods. Every little bit helps, I guess.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I figured you'd say something like that ...I am still trying to get Mr. Clean to donate, but he's not interested. But at least it bumped your question up and you got an answer.

Suzy

Faber, VA

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that Oak sawdust is extremely acidic. Even more than pine bark. Perhaps the composting process makes the end result more neutral? Otherwise, you may have to lime it or, at least, mix it with other compost -- or use it for acid loving plants.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I think you're right about the acid. I ended up borrowing a dump truck from my son-in-law, and I hauled five loads home. I'd already hauled in one big load on a 18' trailer, so I've got a bunch of it now.

I picked the oldest, dark, composted sawdust. You can hardly tell it from soil, but I bet it's got a lot of acid content. I'll put it in my compost bins this year and add a bunch of grass cuttings and some lime. I've got the advantage of having a tractor with a front end bucket, so I can mix and aerate it easily.

I'll probably send a sample for a soil test before I use it because I'm concerned about getting the acid balanced. But in the long run, I think I've got some real good stuff to add to my 2008 garden.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ozark, usually composted material will end up with a more balanced pH, not necessarily what it started out with. Your best best would be to go purchase a pH meter (available at garden centers/big box stores) or a litmus test kit. I think there is a good chance you can use that sawdust if it is as old as you say it is.

'Tis worth a the investment of $12 or so!

Shoe

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

"I think there is a good chance you can use that sawdust if it is as old as you say it is."

Yes, I think it's pretty much OK. The soil on one end of my garden was a little low, so a month ago when I got that first load of sawdust compost I added about a pickup truck load of it to the garden on that end. I tilled it in.

Then I planted the garden, and I have a row of tomato and pepper plants and some cucumbers in that area. They're doing OK, but they showed some slight signs of stress. Nothing fatal, but they wilted a little at first and there was a little burning around the edges of leaves.

My tilling 15 lbs. of 12-12-12 fertilizer into the garden at the same time probably caused that, as I think that compost is probably already rich in nitrogen. I just overdid the fertilizer a little, and it may be that the acid is a little off. It'll work out, and that's a good idea about the pH meter.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm so jealous you have that access to all that good sawdust! And happy you have a tractor/trailer to get it! (Heck, if you get enough you could go into the bagged compost bizness! Mix it good, cook it good, sell it by the bag or truckload, eh?)

Keep us up to date as to how your garden grows. I think it'll be a good one.
Happy Growing!

Shoe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.