Need to move some azaleas???

Madison, MS

I'm helping my next door neighbor "gut" and redo her yard - here's the link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/716309/
There are several azaleas that are not getting any sun and need moving (she would like them in the front yard). I have never moved an azalea before and need some advise - Please help if you can!! Thanks so much! Michelle - Oh yeah, we're in zone 8 and running about 80-85 degrees during the day right now.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd wait until fall if you can, your temps are already pretty high so I think it's going to be stressful to the plants if you move them now and will decrease the probability of success.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

One problem with fall transplanting is that it makes a plant more susceptible to frost heave in climates where freezing and thawing cycles are common. In that case, rhododendrons/azaleas transplant best in the spring. The other side of the coin is that maintaining the proper moisture level in the summer is very difficult after spring transplanting. So make sure you watch the plant like you would a brand new plant. After all, its roots are compromised and it will need a reliable source of moisture in its new location. Since the owner has little time to spend in the yard, a reliable source of moisture is critical in order to make sure that the plant adapts and grows well after it has been transplanted. Otherwise, it may hit a dry spell and die.

Select an area with good drainage, same amount of moisture, same amount of (morning) sun (about 4 hours of sun or less). If trees are going to be removed, keep the azaleas in mind. For example, is the tree being removed going to be helping shade the azalea in its new location? If the plants are doing nicely now, measure how much sun/water they get now and pick a similar location elsewhere. Protect from winds if the new location is windy.

Most azalea roots are tiny, within the top 4 inches so, be extremely careful not to disturb them. Dig a cone (V-shaped hole) about 12" deep around the drip line. Try to maintain the rootball intact. Lift the plant from the bottom, not by the stems. Burlap can help when lifting/moving the plant.

Azaleas have dormant buds beneath the bark so they can safely be pruned after moving (if pruning needs to be done). I try never to prune more than 1/3 per year though. Her plants looked small enough where this is probably not an issue but I thought I would mention it anyways....

Good luck, Luis

Madison, MS

Luis, one more question... How wide of a rootball do I dig? And thanks so much for all this great info!!! Michelle

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The width should be a function of the drip line (the circumference or area under the shrub where it sheds water). I would start there to a depth of 3-4 inches and dig deeper as you approach the rootball. The deepest part of the dug up cone (12") should be near the center of the plant or where the main trunk is located.

Madison, MS

Thanks so much!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.