Is this clematis wilt??

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

This is Pink Champagne and she was blooming just a couple weeks ago. Now look at her :~(((
Is this what clematis wilt looks like? What do I do? This pic is from 4-30.

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

And this one was taken on 5-3

Thumbnail by baja220
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie..Looks like she isn't getting enough water hon...Clematis wilt is sudden and the leaves just turn black...water that baby and hopefully it will revive her..you should have pruned her after the bloom so to let her focus on getting a bigger root system...Jeanne

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

So should I prune her back now? We just had 3" of rain and quite a bit for the past month before that. I was actually thinking it could be too much water.
Something else, last fall when I planted her she had tons of top growth, but within a day of planting she looked like she does now. I was glad to see her come up at all this Spring.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I would prune her if it was me...count up from the soil to the 3rd leaf axil and prune above that...do you stick your finger in the soil to test for moisture?..I do..that is the only way to see if the top layer of soil is staying moist....Jeanne

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Well, she is pruned and looks dead. I hope she makes it. I'll keep an eye on the moisture but right now everything is almost soggy since we've had so much rain.
The 2 clematis planted on either side of her don't look like this at all.

Debbie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie..if you think that vine is dead..the leaves will turn black..then prune down to the ground..it should re-emerge in a couple weeks...Jeanne

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

It's good that you pruned her. Keep her roots moist and hopefully she will put out new shoots. It might take a while, so be patient.

(Zone 4a)

I suggest you mulch the area around the base, keeping the mulch a few inches from the stem, and shade the lower one foot of the Clematis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.