What a surprise!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I hope the picture will come out OK. I was in my yard last week putting bird food
in my feeders, and the prettiest little parakeet landed on my shoulder for a quick second.
It had to be someone's pet. It only stayed long enough to eat a little. I felt bad that I wasn't able to catch it and put an ad in the paper. It wa quite a suprise though.

Thumbnail by kcheckal
Marlton, NJ

Wow I bet you were surprised! Nice pic.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

He's beautiful! I hope he stays around for you.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I would be tempted to put an open bird cage in the yard and see what happens. Poor thing. Its nice that it found your feeder. Keep us posted if you see it again!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

kcheckal, if you do manage to catch her (looks like the cere is brown, which means a girl), contact this web site:
http://www.911parrotalert.com/index.asp
They have a form to fill in for found birds.

Also, you might call the local vets, as a lot of people report their lost birds to them. And, if there is a budgie group in the area, they might be willing to bring another one over to try to lure the lost one.

I'm glad the poor little thing found your feeder.

Kathleen (with three parrots of my own)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm sorry to say that the beautiful parakeet never came back. I wanted to put out a cage, but
never got the chance before it flew away. I'm hoping that maybe it was only a few houses away from it's home and made it back there OK. I am glad that he found the feeder as well.
It seems like there's never a dull moment around my back yard lately. Not only do we have a hawk that lands here from time to time and a squirrel, but this morning I went out to fill the bird feeders. We picked up a new one last week that slides open on top. Don't ever get one of these. When the birds land on the feeder it makes the top slide open. There was a little bird that was trapped in the feeder. Fortunately, it seemed to be okay. We got it open and the bird flew away. Needless to say, that feeder went to the trash can.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

What a dumb design! Glad the bird was OK. Let's see, in the past couple of weeks we've had an egret in the pond, a turkey vulture in the road, and a possum on the terrace. Yep, never dull around here, either! Don't you love it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.