How long does it take a bleeding heart to sprout from a root

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I planted two roots of dicentra 'alba' in a pot. Its been a couple of weeks and nothing. How long does it take to sprout?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Dicentra may take a while to sprout. A friend gave me a root several years ago and I put it in my garden right away. And waited. I thought that it just didn't make it. Finally, several weeks later, I got a weak little sprout. It took over a year for it to bloom and didn't really look great until its third year. Don't give up just yet.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you, tgg. That is actually very encouraging. I was just thinking that it wasn't going to come up. First of all, I did get them from Wal-Mart, lol, and then I just haven't really tried to grow anything but lilies from scratch. I will let you know how it turns out.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Good luck with it. I believe that my friend got hers from somewhere like that, too. The roots came in a box. You wouldn't believe how beautiful mine is this year! It has been much more hardy than the Dicentra 'King of Hearts' that I paid $12 for and only lasted a year! I'll be 'rooting' for you:)
Bev

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I have three of them and they all 3 are doing very well even after the last snow I thought I lost them all they looked like melted plastic on the ground. I kept on cutting off the frozen part. Boy they are very beautiful now very graceful looking. Im so glad but tggfisk is correct it does take a couple years for it to beautiful. Then you can cut the root in two and have two of the most gorgeous spring plants there are!!!! ENJOY and be patient. Ronna, loving the bleeding hearts in plainwell michigan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.