What are the reddest clematis varieties?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi,
I want to plant some clematis, and I'm going to order online. Problem is you can never quite trust the color on the screen or the description of the plant. I want a variety that is truly red, single or double bloom. Any suggestions?

I'm in San Antonio and the vine will be on an east facing wall.

Thank you!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I'll be interested in the answer to this, also. I'd like something truly red that will handle heat and drying winds.

Newmarket, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm interested in this question too, but one that will do well in my zone. Preference to Clems that should be hard pruned in early spring (group 3/C). I imagine that in warmer climes any clematis pruning type will do?

This message was edited May 4, 2007 11:59 PM

Redkarnelian, I've been told group 2/3 do best here, but I have no experience.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I think you might be happy with a pruning groups 3/viticellas..Here is a pic of my clematis "Madame Julia Correvon"..which is a true red in my opinion..when looking at my pic remember she's a baby..I just planted her this spring...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Another one that I just planted last Spring is Clematis "Barbara Harrington"...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Another beautiful Deep red is Clematis "Madame Edouard Andre' "

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

Those are all nice, Jeanne. I'll take your word for it about the color - they all look dark pink to me! Computers can be so frustrating.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Here's some of my "reds".

Niobe

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Ruutel

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Rouge Cardinal

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Westerplatte

Westerplatte and Niobe are the reddest of these, but not a true red

Debbie

This message was edited May 5, 2007 6:02 PM

Thumbnail by baja220

Whatever color they are - they're beautiful. Really like Westerplatte - it looks like velvet.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you all for your advice... I'm seeing what I can find and where now. I'll let you know what I got, when I get it. I'll post pictures too.

Thanks again!
DeAnna

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Debbie, thanks for sharing your pics. I have Niobe and Rouge Cardinal in my garden and, although beautiful in their own right, have never been quite "red enough" for me. Your Westerplatte, based on my computer's rendering of your photo, is by far the reddest I've seen. Absolutely gorgeous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.