House plant potting mix outside?

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I bought about 40 small bags of house plant potting mix last year at 50¢ closeout last year. What if anything do I need to add to use this in my outdoor pots?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I use the same Miracle Gro potting mix for both houseplants and outdoor containers, in my mind a container plant is a container plant. At the places I usually shop, I've never noticed potting mix labelled specifically for houseplants so my guess is it's the same stuff they would sell for outdoor containers, just they thought the small bags would be more convenient to handle in the house so they labelled it as houseplant mix. So if you generally buy container mix and use that for your outdoor containers as-is, then you should be able to use this as is, but many people like to mix other things in so if that's what you normally do then I would add in whatever you normally would.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

You could use it as is or add perlite or peat moss to it depending on what you're planting. For things like coleus and impatiens I add some peat moss since they like moist soil all the time for instance.

Tom

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you! I'd planned on adding some water crystals but I appreciate the peat moss suggestion. I'd like to avoid having to water more than once a day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.