Eastern "Pink" Redbud tree

Jamaica Plain, MA

I bought this tree at Home Depot last weekend. It was grown in Tennessee (I live in NEngland) and it had a few leaves on it already. It is sitting in my backyard and now more leaves are emerging but NO pink or redbuds. Is there a difference between the male and female species (one produces buds and the other doesn't)? Or is my tree confused and not producing buds because of it's journey north, early start and it's still living in it's pot? The leaf shape looks correct for this species. All the other Eastern Redbud trees are in bloom here, so I am confused. I don't want to plant it until I know I've got the right tree.
Thougths??

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Do they require more maturity to bud?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Checking my tree book now. It says that the flowers are "pea-like borne in clusters along the old shoots and often from the main branches and trunk, in spring to early summer before and as the leaves emerge." I would expect that your tree may be too young for the branches to flower. Or is it possible that it bloomed while it was sitting at Home depot and the bloom is past? A little tree wouldn't have that many flowers to start with. There's no male or female here as the flowers have all the parts necessary for reproduction. Plant it up and be patient. Trees take time.
Martha

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

The same is happening with my redbud. It's been planted for two years now and still not more than a few scrawny flowers. Martha, you give me hope. I need patience. Anything I should feed it? Are they picky about their soil?

Harper

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Like Harper, my redbud is just starting to bloom out, and it has been in the ground for three plus years now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.