weed fabric 3 inches down

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

We inherited this problem. In this huge perennial bed there is intermittant (and deteriorating) landscape fabric down about three inches. Plants stick up through it, put their roots through it, and it is now basically useless. I will never, ever use this stuff. Must I pull it all up (pulling up plants in the process), or can I just leave it (I'm guessing it's a synthetic material)? This is a non-edibles bed, and I'm in the process of improving the soil with a concoction of poultry litter, greensand, rock phosphate, and a top layer of mulch.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I have the same problem and I use a razor blade to liberate as many plants as I can, instead of pulling the whole thing up at once.

Ah, great idea. I love this forum.

Blackwood, NJ(Zone 7a)

I had the same problem when I moved into my house 8 years ago. Weeds actually were more tenacious, because the were "anchored" into it. The more you can remove, the better. I am still finding this intended "weed barrier" 8 years later. Why would anyone ever use this stuff?!?

Short-term solution, I guess. Problem of the times. :)

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Because it seemed like a good idea at the time! And it does work, for a while. Console yourselves with the knowledge that some of us stay put in our houses long enough to face the results of our own folly! I love the razor blade idea--why didn't I think of that?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Remove it. Your good plants and shrubs will get their roots tangled up in it, and between layers, and never thrive as they would without strangling layers of landscape fabric.

Doing my best! Thanks, all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.