Astilbe question How does it do on a slope?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have just purchased a bunch of astilbe plants.

My garden is largely on a slope. Some plants are just fine on a slope. Others don't make it, I think because they need the crown to have a certain relationship to the soil level. The soil level can really fluctuate on a slope due to erosion, and some plants just can't handle that.

My question to you is: Do any of your grow astilbe on a slope? Does it thrive, or struggle?

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

My Astilbe is growing on a gentle slope, in clay soil at the edge of a pond, in the shade of a willow tree. I think perhaps that for Astilbe, partial shade and constant moisture may be more important than level ground.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would use some mulch on the slope, that should help with erosion--most plants aren't going to be too happy if you erode the soil away from around their roots or cover up their crowns with mud sliding down from the higher part of the hill. And you many find you need to water it a little more than you would on flat ground since some of it's going to run off before it can absorb.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks to both of you! I have found some plants do great on a slope -- hostas, for example. It all depends on how sensitive the crown is . . .

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I don't know about growing on a slope, but my limited experience with Astilbe tells me that they do not like to dry out during the summer. It is not fatal, but they will dry up and go dormant. I did not realize how tough and drought tolerant hostas were until I started adding other plants to my shade garden where they have to compete with several large trees for moisture. My Astilbe has been struggling a little in this environment.

- Brent

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Brent -- thanks for the reminder. I've lost astilbes in the past, I'm sure because of failure ot water properly.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

It may help to establish the Astilbe if when planting you create a mini-terrace of mounded-up soil on the downslope side of it, to hold back a puddle of water that would otherwise run off.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's a great idea. I can use stones as well. Thanks!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I also was going to suggest making a mini terrace with a rim of stone in front of the Astilbe and then build up the soil behind it. I have lots of Astilbe but no slopes!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I love the way our slopes look, but they are very challenging to garden on -- both in terms of planning and physical stamina.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How about using some water crystals. Hydrate them and use them at the root zone as you plant. The idea of a mini terrace is excellent.

When I neglected them during one hot summer spell they did, indeed, shrivel up and go dormant until the next year.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Another great idea -- thanks!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I grow my Astilbe on the North side of my house. They thrive in a shady moist location. Astilbe don't like to dry out, so your soil's moisture content is very important.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.