Gardening can be an expensive pursuit...

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

Gardening can be a very expensive pursuit if you let it be. It's easy (you if have the desire and the money) to spend thousands of dollars each year on it--buying plants, soil ammendments, fertilizers, tools, etc. Yet there are ways to have a wonderful garden and spend very little money.

I'm giving a presentation to my Master Gardener's class next week on "cheapskate" gardening. I don't mean how gardening saves you money on food, etc. What I have in mind is how to save money and have a lovely garden. For example, I have several ways to save money on buying plants. I get plants for free from friends who are dividing their perennials. Sometimes I buy one plant and propagate it to get more. I've bought plants extremely cheaply from some of the big box stores from their clearance rack--for example, geraniums for 10 cents each.

I've been lusting for a tumbling composter for the last two years--but the $200-$400 price tag has stopped me from acquiring one. I've finally figured out how to make one for under $10. Not as fancy, but it should do the job and it will be very simple to make. When I get it finished (I want to get it done in time to display it at class next week) I will post pics and instructions on DG.

Would y'all be kind enough to share with me your favorite frugal tactics for saving money on gardening? TIA

Kim

This thread has 42 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!