What did I plant?

Bettendorf, IA

I definitely planted this because it is in a little pattern around some heuchera but what is it??

Thumbnail by pegzhere
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Sorry I have no idea but will watch ,because I like it ,and am curious.

Bettendorf, IA

LOL! I must have liked it, too :) I had a ton of stuff I ordered bareroot or on co-ops and went on a planting frenzy to get it all in the ground. I totally remember planting in the spots where this is but can't for the life of me remember what the heck it is. There are several flowers waiting to bloom though and it certainly came through rapidly!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Could it possibly be oxalis "Pink Princess"?

P

Bettendorf, IA

I wish!! I would love to grow oxalis but I haveonly planted things in the ground (thus far) that are hardy to zone 5. Thanks for the thought!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

is it helliobores?

Bettendorf, IA

No - it doesn't look anything like the hellbores I have near it. Those circles of leaves are probably the size of a quarter. Maybe I will post in the identification board. I'll report back if I hear anything positive!

(Zone 4a)

It looks like an Oxalis.

Bettendorf, IA

That was what they suggested on the I know I have been dying for oxalis but am in zone 5 - is it possible I found one hardy to my area? I know I tried and tried to find one but thought I didn't. Maybe I did????

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Could they be lupines?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Can't be lupines with a flower like that. Flowers are indicative of oxalis too, and especially the way the petals in bud twist around. We have a native Minnesota oxalis, zone 4a, violacea, I think it is. Just an FYI, because its foliage is not like your pic at all.

I did grow Oxalis adenophylla once, and your pic looks just like it. Some literature say it is hardy even to zone 4.

(Zone 4a)

Oxalis crassipes is hardy to Zone 4.

Many Zone 5 perennials will grow in Zone 4 if given
winter protection.

Bettendorf, IA

Leftwood - I thnk you got it!! I remember now - I wasin co-op offering oxalis adenophylla!! We discussed back and forth the hardiness because there were differing reports but I decided to give it a try!! That is it - thank you!!!!!

Tara - looks like I need to check out crassipes, too - THANKS!!!!

(Edited because I am squished in all cozy using the laptop so my fingers can't seem to land on the right keys :) without a ton of effort)

This message was edited May 5, 2007 7:43 AM

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

pegzhere,
I stumbled here by accident and I have to agree....it looks like Oxalis. It grows here in Maine (zone4/5) as long as I cover it with mulch for the winter. I have had mine for 4-5 years now.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/126328/
I Love it, and I think you will too..very little effort in growing it.

Bettendorf, IA

Thanks pixie! I love hearing these words "very little effort in growing it" :)

Bettendorf, IA

This is it exactly. I think I might need to move it though now that I revisit it. I think I was in a hurry to get stuff in the ground and just stuck it in. Will have to see how it looks in and around Heuchera Hollywood and Geisha's Fan LOL

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2171/index.html

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

You have the Chilean one!! I don't have that one....yet! I'm on the look out for it now that I've seen it, it's a beauty!!!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

My purple oxalis has come back for 4 years in a row. It is very pretty here in Zone 6.
PeggyP

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Peggy..purple?? Please post a picture when it's in bloom, it sounds lovely!!!

Bettendorf, IA

I'd like to see, too - with how well this one seems to be doing here (as long as it comes back) I want more!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.