Wet shade

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi all!

I have an area that faces east, so it gets morning sun but by afternoon its in complete shade because of the garage. It also was a prime area for drifting.

Last year I planted shastas, lily of the valley, and, oh geez: really cool foliage, tall wispy spikes of flowers (can't think of the name, lol, and a Hope confeflower. It looks like I lost everything under the heavy snow.

Any idea on what would do good there? I'd like to put perennials in, but I can't afford to replace them if they rot.

Thanks,
Jen

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hosta, Epimediums, hydrangeas, the low ginger (spreads) whose name I can't remember, Creeping Jenny (gold color), heuchera, tiarella.

This hosta garden gets shade all afternoon and the snow certainly does drift up there.

Thumbnail by pirl
Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Pirl! Thats beautiful!!! The name I was trying to remember: they are coral bells.

I wasn't sure what tiarella or Epimediums but after looking them up, I *think* I saw a few of them at a nursery in Avon. I was thrilled when I found 2 of the Big Sky series Echinaceas 4/$20. I saw them last year for 14.95 each... I got Sundown and Summer Sky, Ruby Giant (not big sky) and was also able to replace the "Hope" breast cancer one I lost

I put the Echinaceas in full sun and keep them deadheaded to get even more flowers. The heuchera (Coral Bells) family is huge. Try going to Terra Nova Nurseries, via Google, and spend some time ther with not only the Heuchera but the beautiful shapes on the Tiarella leaves and the Heucherella. They have a lot for shade.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have an area on the east side of my house that gets mostly shade - but it is not really wet. The golden creeping jenny I planted runs wild (dmail me and I'll send you some) - I started with a few little pieces and it has filled the space and other people's garden. It dies back in winter but comes back in spring. I put in lots of ferns and some hostas.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I have a couple more:Cardinal flower, ligularia and does it get enough sun for daylilies?

The dark red daylilies do so much better with afternoon shade.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Pirl, that Terra Nova site is awesome. I drooled over the Tiki Torch echinechea!!! i called a nursery here that was listed on the TN site and they do carry the new releases, but she is sure if they have Tiki Torch.

Some of those Tiarellas are to die for!

The nursery lady said that they should have everything out by next weekend so I'm planning to go there then.

Dave, I dmailed you. Thanks!

There's a thread, somewhere, about Heuchera. They give several links that are even more to drool about. When I find it I'll post the link for you.

I did buy the Coconut Lime Echinacea but it won't be delivered until fall. Tiki Torch is lovely!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/717415/

Great links on there!

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Where were you able to find it for sale already? Can I buy directly from TN?

Thanks for the link! I'm off to drool, lol

I think TNN only sells in huge amounts.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Oh gosh, Pirl, Molly (the one who started the thread) lives in Canandaigua!! That's only a hop from here.

The nursery that I was at 2 days ago had tons of the Heuracha (sp) but I looked right over them. I need to go back! I'm holding out until they get the huge truck of zonal and mini geraniums!

The zonals are amazing. I just bought two of them. They're so great for color harmony.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm not a pink person but I found this amazing, eye hurting neon pink one. It's horrible, but amazing, lol.

Kind of like the orange on, oh durn, whats the name? Starts with a "C", lol. The leaves had a neat shape to them, kind of a limish green on the outside and a maroon in the center.

That's like the two I have. If I ever download photos you'll spot them.

How did we forget coleus for shade!

Northeast Harbor, ME

If you'd like dramatic foliage and a totally invasive plant, pick Petasides.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Do they like wet feet?

I was thinking about this earlier. It gets morning sun and then full shade from noon on. Huge amounts of drifting snow in the winter.

When the sun changes in the summer, the area got sun for the better part of the day.

Ugh, maybe I need to wait a month or two to see what its going to do? The coneflowers, shastas, etc did well there last year they just didn't survive the winter because of the wetness.

Northeast Harbor, ME

They love wet feet. The variegated variety's sort of pretty.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Do they come smaller than monster size? lol

Northeast Harbor, ME

It's super size or nothin'!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.