Pictures of Clematis in Urns or Planters?

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

Would anyone have pictures of clematis used in planters? I am trying to describe this for a friend, but some images would be really helpful. She has some very large urns and has been trying to grow those poor, pruned within an inch of their life, cork screw shaped pines in them with no success. So I thought it might be a perfect opportunity to introduce her to clematis and hosta (not necessarily in the same planters). She is looking for potted designs that don't include many or any annuals. I am afraid that I am more of an "right in the ground" kind of gardener, and my experience with decorative pots is limited. Thanks for sharing :-) !!!

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Irish, I have ordered a few Hosta and am wondering if you could let a shade tolerant Clematis grow through one of the big Hostas? And some of the Hostas even like sun so would it work? I'm thinking some of the pale gold foliaged Hosta would be perfect for a purple Clematis. Also a Hosta with big dark foliage would be a nice background for a white Clematis. I just wonder if anyone has tried it?

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

Rose, I've seen it posted somewhere -- a landscape setting though, not a pot. I don't remember if it was on the Hosta forum or the Clematis form, but I'll try to find the link. I LOVE your idea for a purple clematis with a golden hosta. That would be so stunning. I do have a shaddy hosta garden under an old spruce with clematis climing up trellises around the tree. One of those is Silver Moon, which is directly behind a large Blue Mammoth. Sadly, when I put in the new trellises last week, I decided to cut the clematis (the SM, an etoile violette, and fairy dust) down and let them grow up fresh on the new supports. The EV was gorgeous (sigh). The trellises are fantastic. I am going to post about them on the Clematis forum in a few minutes.

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Irish, I'd love to see that link. I'm really hoping it would work. Don't worry, you're SM, FD, and EV will grow back and look lovely...they grow so fast! My Alionushka that I got from Debbie climbed up a chain link fence and was in full bloom a week after I planted it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.