1/2 price vegetable seeds!

westport, Ireland

Typical!!! Just bought a load of veg seeds last week (late as usual) from Thompson & Morgan & noticed they've now got a 50% sale on all veg seeds!!!!!! Is it worth buying a stock in - ie would they keep till next year? Or are they best "fresh?"

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Most keep fairly well as long as you keep them dry. You may see some loss of germination, though. I keep mine in a big can with a dessicant.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Last year, in Sept or so, I bought a bunch of seeds for 10 cents a package. The basils, tomatoes have all done fine this season. The cosmos lost some germination, but after planting a little more thickly, I got satisfactory results. Too cold to try the rest of the seeds yet... seeds I have that are marked for the 2004 season are also germinating OK for me (I never throw anything way!) - includes roma tomatoes, sugar snap peas and several herbs, also morning glories. Again, sowing just a tad more to allow for lower germination rates (sugar snap peas had 90% germ rates). Also, I find that having a seed warming mat is particularly helpful for the older seeds. I'm having trouble germinating any hyssops this year, either from older or newer seeds. Not sure what I'm doing, but only got 20% germination. I'd think it'd be worth it.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Many packets have many more seeds than I would use in a year. and I have had pretty good luck with old seeds. Have read parsley and onions do NOT last long, maybe you want to check a few particulars.

Well, good news on parsley below~! (maybe I misremembered) I'm more sure on the onions.

This message was edited May 6, 2007 2:34 PM

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

My parsley seeds from last year germinated great. I use old seeds all the time.

Carmichael, CA

I stopped into a local drug store here and all the seeds were 10¢ a pack...I stocked up. lol

westport, Ireland

Great - thanks for the info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.