Reusing coconut fiber hanging baskets

Brainerd, MN

What's the best way to sanitize these? I have a dozen of them from last summer which I washed in hot water at summer's end but I'm reluctant to use detergents or bleach until I get advice from others who know how to best clean them. I've got Impatiens impatiently waiting.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Sorry, don't have an answer. I'm just surprised that yours have lasted so long. Mine usually only last one season, and I just throw them in the compost pile.

I will confess that one time I planted an annual that quickly died on me and I just rinsed the coco liner and replanted the next annual, which did quite well. I must have had weak seedlings the first time and the replaced was no infected or damaged in any way from reused liner.

hi
i was wondering about the liners myself..mine could not be re used and i got the basket from walmart for 3 dollars and something and now i dont see a replacement liner at walmart..is there any other place where i can purchase one or are the baskets really for "one time use"?

pam

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

So glad you mentioned cleaning them! I sterilize everything else and know I would have just emptied the soil and gone on to plant. I think I'll soak mine in a weak bleach solution. Mine must be more than five years old now.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Lowes sells replacement liners if you ever need them. I don't know how much they are though. They had several different sizes and also ones for flower boxes.

I've seen the replacement liners but still feel the need to use it for all it's worth.

Brainerd, MN

I'm with you Pirl. Gardening can get expensive... and EXPANSIVE. I AM going to buy some new liners but they'll be with hanging baskets because my plant inventory keeps expanding. And that's all the more reason to keep reusing what I already own.

One note for those of you who are looking aroud,I did find a couple of sources on the internet that actually sell the stuff by the ROLL, which could be interesting. But rolled or preformed, I think the stuff is kind of pricey.

The bottom of one of mine did wear out. I'm going to cut up the sides of that one and use it as extra cushioning on the others, at the bottom.

hm that would work by the roll....depending on the price of course.
if nothing else i can use moss...

pam

and oh thanks for the info about lowes carrying them..i hardly ever go there but if i do
go by one i will stop by as it is out of town

This message was edited May 2, 2007 7:47 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.