my new set up

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i bought this from sams club for about 76 dollars. each shelf is wide enough to accomodate two four ft shop lights. right now i have my tomatoes and some basil. it has wheels so i cn just roll it outside when i want to start hardening them off.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Eagle, ID

Me Too! But I bought mine last year and the year before that. I think mine is a little wider, but it is great isn't it. Study, rust proof and huge. Have fun with yours

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

Now that is a GREAT idea!! I am going to have to go find me one of those shelves at Sam's Club. I wonder if they would have one of those in Utah. How tall is the shelf?

This message was edited May 2, 2007 11:37 AM

Eagle, ID

about 6 feet. but it breaks down to smaller shelves if you want. But there are only 4 rollers.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Very cool. I may have to try that...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My Baker's Rack is made of that same chrome stuff from Sam's. Wish I had room for a seedling stand. I made one 3-4 years ago of wood with dowels angled slightly upwards to allow to adjust the lights every 2 inches as the seedlings grew. Trashed it in one of my moves. (Not the lights though)

Eagle, ID

Do you have a spare closet?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Not a spare inch... (combined households with my sister and also mother's stuff after she died) but on my back porch I have 40 window panes that someday will become a 3 season greenhouse.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

the shelf also has one more shelf that i did not use. i have about 7 all together but this isthe first one for me. the others all hold my wifes stuff. we hve canned goods and christmas stuff on them.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Sure sounds and looks like a good deal to me. I bought a plant shelf set up sort of the same thing but paid a lot more for it. After using it for I guess about 15 years the plant shelfs which had enclosed trays as base, even tho supposed to be rust resistant, finally rusted through.

I am still using a shelf set up my oldest son made for out of 2 x 4s, about 30 years ago.

there is no Sam's club warehouse in my vicinity.

Donna

Eagle, ID

How about a Costco? They are just about the same

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Costco has them.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Looks familiar Frank. Metro shelving is the original brand but expensive. (used in professional kitchens) Thank goodness for Costco. I add the shelves and adjust the lights as things grow!

P.S. Vinson Watts seeds germinated just fine, thank you.

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

they look great. what are you growing on the botton shelf left hand side??

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, next time I go to Wenatchee, (closest Costco, 130 miles) I will check. Filled both the pickup and car gas tanks yesterday , cost me more than $100.00, so am not planning to go to Wenatchee any time soon.

Donna

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL Frank, those are baby corn. I got the seeds from the Asian market. I now know that baby corn grows up to be a 5 foot stalk. I also know that you can grow regular corn and harvest young but you will get a higher yield of baby corn if you use the baby corn seeds. Live and learn.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

if i'm gonna have to feed the dear the least i can do is grown things he has to reach down for. with corn he can eat it standing up. LOL

Eagle, ID

I was at Home depot yesterday and saw the shelves. They were high up so I couldn't feel if they were quality, but they looked the same. 4 shelf stainless steel and 6 or 7 (?) shelf black ones.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

how much did they cost?? mine cost about 76.00 dollars.

Eagle, ID

The 4 shelf version was 49 dollars and the black one was about 76 or 79 dollars

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I found mine at Lowe's for $76. They come in black or chrome and have three sizes - 5 shelf, 4 shelf and 2 shelf (more a TV stand). Lowe's also carries the simple shop lights. I got quiet ones that you can hang (around $20 each - 2 to each shelf using cool bulbs). Other threads on DG about creating one's own grow light units gave me the idea. I can't believe the difference using one of these. Now my plants no longer get leggy and fall flat on their faces! I don't know where I will plant everything that's growing but it is a thrill to go out onto the porch every morning and see how healthy the plants are. I have started all kinds of things from tomatoes, eggplants, leeks, swiss chard, and basil to tithonia, mimilus, calendula, hollyhocks, poppies, cape daisies and marigolds. The basil is way ahead of schedule in size. Many of these flowers were hard to keep going on a window sill but with this system they are really thriving!

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I just found this thread under Propagation for similar ideas on how to design your own growlight system. I hope I can make this link work! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/683246/

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i knew you would love that shelving. i will redo mine to accomodate my tomatoes and other tall plants. will probably convert it from a five rack to a four rack to give me more room.

when i want to harden them off all i do is roll the shelf out of the garage and then back in after a while.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.