odd canna leaf?

Red Oak, TX

i don't know if this is normal or not?

Thumbnail by prita
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Which canna is this? I have never seen a leaf like that but it sure is interesting.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

That looks like Bengal Tiger coming out of dormancy. If it continues to grow out normal just cut off the discolored leaves and it will be ok. Use an insect prevention program on a regular basis to rule out any pests as well.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I like that yellow leaf too bad it can't stay.

If it looks good then let it grow. I`d cut it if the sun makes it get brown on the edges.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I like it too... some of the cannas here just getting started look like that too. They seem to improve over time. i was worried about the virus but they never get brown and die... just the strange streaking in the leaves. That one really is pretty.

Tammie

Red Oak, TX

thank you for the info. i just planted it so i think that is what is going on. i love the color though i wish it could stay like that!

rita

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Lhasa-don't want anyone upset with me, but my understanding of the virus is that it starts with the streaking and eventually, over a period of years kills the plant.

Doesn't mean necessarily yours are virused, could be a nutrient deficiency, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I was worried about virus but all my plants were planted last year and looked fine. The new growth so far is streaked and it is all the cannas in both my yard and across town in my mothers yard. Nothing new or changed since last year. Hers are spread over about 1/2 acre with the house between a lot and they all look that way. Mine are already looking better.. so are some of hers. Hopefully not virus. Just will wait and see.

Tammie

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Have you given them any manure or compost yet? That will prob. make a difference

I will as soon as it is available at home depot. It has not come in yet for the season... right now, can't go anywhere.... city is closed due to flooding. They declared a 'civil emergency' a little while ago. Never been done before here. Big storm moved through and dumped over 2" of rain in just a few minutes! My cannas are going to love it. We got 2" sunday too... that took over 12 hours to total that. Most of this is just running off ... street in front of my house is already drained.

I hope they grow like weeds now!

Tammie

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

They sure grow close to weeds here-but I know it is much drier in TX! HD doesn't have their stuff in over there? I would think ya'll would need to start planting very early in TX to beat the heat

Wow-good luck being shut in, and sorry to hear about that. Mother Nature can sure weild some awesome power!

Yours looks good. What I mean about browning leaves is caused by the weather being cold and then suddenly getting hot and sunny overnight. This cold and hot sudden changes will cause your cannas to be stressed until the weather evens out. If mine get partialy frozen and they look rough I just cut them down and they grow again pretty. By the time the weather fairs up everything is green and pretty. A virused plant will show wrinkling in the leaf and brown dead tissue in lines running in the veins. Virus can show up anywhere, anytime because a plant can appear healthy and show symptoms later. It isn`t anyone`s fault cannas get virused. It is only bad if the affected plants do not get destroyed as soon as the virus is identified and sometimes it simply is not immediately apparent. Your canna does not look virused at this point but somewhat stressed by the weather. It should be fine.

This message was edited May 2, 2007 1:09 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.