may is here

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

hello everyone.. hope all are well sounds like had a wonderful round up..we are having rain think got to much.. have good week ..

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

It has been raining all day here. I am actually grateful for that as it has kept the things I have in pots waiting to planted watered for me. I also have a little pond and stream that I need to work on so I could not turn the pump on. Those few hot sunny days were stressing the fish as the heat combined with the early spring "green water" tends to rob the pond of oxygen. The rain and cooler wheather was a relief for them. Getting the stream into shape is my top priority for this weekend so my poor fish will feel better.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

All the gardeners at work were miserable in this cold rain. It rained all day there too and we were all cold all day. I'm personally enjoying it. I don't have to water anything and my new plants will grow faster now.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Hope, thanks for starting the new thread. I didn't quite realize the month had changed. Nothing slow about me. LOL

I think it must have rained here all day too. We needed the moisture as we have been in a drought for nearly 5 years I think.

Tomorrow is my annual trip up E. Highway 50 with my elderly friend. It always seems to rain on that day for some reason. Just off and on kind of rain. We get good buys and have fun. Tomorrow I think the woman who has come to live with her is going with us. I hope so.

I need to get to bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.

St. Louis sure had gloomy skies today. I had to work and it was a great day to do that since I couldn't be in the yard. Plus, all of my plants are just loving it, nothing like "real" water. I planted a bunch of Banana Trees yesterday - perfect timing. I heard that they like 3 gallons of water per day. I found a lady on craigslist selling them for 10.00 each. They had huge root balls, way bigger than a softball.

Have a good night!

Crystal

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

was not stepping on toes I hope i just thought give someone a nudge to post in this month lol. weh are still having rain rain.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

No way I took you starting the monthly thread as stepping on toes. I appreciate you doing it. As I said, the month just sort of slipped in without me noticing the day it did it.

The trip was wonderful We were always in the van when it rained. I got the Coral Charm peony, Pepper. Just $16 I think. NIce large bloom on it already. That is how I recognized it. I could have gotten 2 of them for less than that place online wanted. I got the tomato & eggplant plants I wanted, as well as some buttercup squash and cucumber plants.. A very few flowers & a basil plant. I'll check with someone at PG on Monday and see what was left after the sale. If some of what I wanted is still there I'll have someone set them aside for me to purchase when I come up on Wednesday. I would have paid for them on Sat. so why shouldn't I pay for them on Monday? I know some of them will become freebies, but I think what I wanted will go into the perennial gardens if not purchased. We came by the house for me to get her some restarts of some plants and to let her see the house painted. She said she kept looking for the ferris wheel and merry go round. LOL.

I'm going to sleep sitting here. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Glad you got that peony. Is it as pretty as it looks on the website?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yes & no. Of course any picture is enhanced but it is very pretty. The bloom is on its end & I'm sure that makes a difference. But I don't regret buying it.

Rainy and cool again today. That means the plants I brought home Wed. & Thurs. & even last Saturday will be ok for another day. That's ok with me. I have to be gone most of today & tomorrow morning may have limited time to do much.

I don't expect to do too much this morning. Have to be at work at 11 this morning and will be there until 9 or later this evening. I'll sit down for maybe 10 minutes to eat lunch, otherwise I'm on my feet the whole time.

Nothing going on this weekend. GOD bless and keep each of you.

I just hate these grey skies. I know my plants love it, but geez - I really love the sunshine!

Thumbnail by
Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

heres all the the plants I got at the round up except the daffs and three still waiting for me to make their new bed all repotted waiting for the rain to quit so they can go out for some sun I was telling some one about our grow stand and dw having taken it over the two pictures are of 8 foot and there is another 4ft not seen just as crowded

Thumbnail by dave719
Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

heres the first one

Thumbnail by dave719
Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

the second one

Thumbnail by dave719

Wow!! Lots of plants there!! LOL

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It looks as tho she really enjoys plants too. Good hobby. I still have a few items from the RU to get into the ground. I work at it as I can. They all seem to be in good soil in the pots and doing well.

I'lll have tomorrow morning to get some yardening done. Then it will be Tuesday before I have a day at home to work in the yarden. I have at least 2 full weeks work to do in just a few days. Once I get those beds mulched it will cut way back on the maintanance work. I didn't get many boxeds at work this weekend. I may have to see what I can get after church Sunday at the Dollar General that gets its shipment Sunday mornings. I have feed bags and some newpaper to use too but the heavy cardboard will really keep the weed down. I hope.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well I seem to be feeling better. But if I do something like cutting the lawn it really knocks me down. I can still feel it in my chest a little. If it is not gone by monday I am going to gto back to see the Dr.

crystal--- My son hates that weather up there also. He has holes to open in the ground for this and that and other holes he has to pump out everyday.

I went to the plant sale at work today and went overboard. It's all my dad's fault. Wants to build up around one tree and beautify a stump. LOL.

Here's my list:

Lobelia Cardinalis-Cardinal Flower
Downy Skullcap
geranium-Orion
Polygonatum Variegatum-Solomon's Seal
Japanesse Painted Fern
Coleus-Merlin's Majic; wished I had grabbed more than one
Pewter Lace Fern
Hosta-june
Hosta-Haleyon
Phlox-Robert Poore
Coneflower-Summer Sky
Clematis-Monte Cassino
2 Hydrangas-Limelight
Shrub Ice Plant
Origanum X-Amethyst Falls
Aquiegia aka Columbine-Dove
2 StanleyA-Pinnata
Shrubby Evening Primrose
Arabis

Oh and I'm not done yet either. They had some thornless honeylocusts also. If they don't sell tomorrow I am gonna get them on Monday at half-price. Will get other plants too and shrubs possibly also. LOL. All my dad's fault for this. First he complains cause he's losing lawn space, now he wants more beds. Just can't win.

Oz, glad to hear you are doing better.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Grrrrrrrrrr.....rain, rain; go away! I have a lake in my backyard and my septic tank water level alarm is blaring. I also have about 40 or so plants to get into the ground. Should have stayed home from Powell y'day and planted instead of buying. lol

LOL.

Sedalia, MO

Hey everyone, I'm back and I know the feeling, my backyard looks like a river! It cain't puddle at the lake too many rocks lol. Moms house sets up on the higher level so it doesn't get much flooding.

We live on a hill in a holler, second highest point on our side of the road and our driveway is flooded. lol.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Pepper .... checked my coleus purchases from Powell. I did get 1 of the Merlins Magic and an Inky Pinky and 4 no names.

Looks like more rain is on the way. Enough is enough. The bugs sure chewed on my plants during the 3 days of rain. I've been trying to keep up with the dust on them but I guess it washed away. I need to get some of that Bayer systemic stuff.

Pic is from yesterday - it's my Fushia - still trying to get those hummingbirds here.

Thumbnail by

Pic of my Lantana - already being visited by butterflies. I will have to get some more of these - lol.

Thumbnail by

I prefer a wet spring to a dry one. lol

Sedalia, MO

I saw hummers yesterday they were at the empty feeders, so I washed and filled them, I sure love watching them.

We got our feeders up not too long ago and the hummers around alot.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

We had what is called a "real gullywasher" yesterday afternoon. It just poured for quite a while. When it finally stopped I went out to survey the damage and was retreiving pots quite a distance away from their origianal spots and even had to throw a few goldfish back into the pond. On the bright side though, I bet I will be able to pull some of those dandelions and other hard to remove weeds right down to their root tips with the soil being so soft.

I will not be able to do that for a few days though. The building where I work has had some foundation/drainage problems for a while and it was damaging the offices in the bottom floor. The company I work for has the entire top floor and my boss owns the building and rented the bottom floor out to various businesses. Anyway, they tore out the sidewalks and are starting to do repairs. The company that they chose to do the repairs is not exactly safety conscious. When we came in this morning they had torn out all of the sidewalks and had uneven gravel and a drop off where they used to be and had power cords everywhere. I went to put something in the UPS drop box and nearly got run over by one of their small cats with a load of gravel. As I was watching for that I got snagged by a power cord and took a header straight into a glass door. It is a good thing that glass is thick! I bounced hard into the door with my head and bounced off and fell back towards the parking lot and then fell onto my right knee, shoulder and arm as I ended up in the gravel where the sidewalk used to be. One of the construction crew and one of the loan officers where I work came running over and picked me up. Several X-Rays and a cat scan later I finally made it back home. I am off of work tomorrow and go back to the Dr. on Wednesday.

Glad you didn't get hurt worse.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

tet -- so sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you mend quickly and that your boss gets that crew lined out on how he expects repairs to be conducted in a safer manner.

Here's my backyard y'day around noon, just after the rain ended. Someday we might get the pool finished if it is dry for more than 1 day in a row. Still have my fingers crossed to have a Memorial Day pool party in the new pool. But I am starting to worry.

Thumbnail by langbr
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Langbr, you did get some rain out your way! Once it dries out though that will be a great place to spend some time when the weather warms up.

Langbr- we're all coming over for a swim and a barbecue - LOL.

Great pool! Should be a lot of fun once it's open.

Tet - hope you are feeling better - keep us updated on how your doing. You sure took a hard fall. Hope someone is with you to keep watch and make sure your okay for a couple days.

Crystal

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I talked to my DH tonight and he said that we got over 3 inches of rain. Our pond is going over and the road down to Oglesby are flooded. The reason I know this is DH has trapped an armadillo two nights in a row and he usually takes it down that way to the river but this morning he couldn't get down there.

So he had to take it north instead. LOL

I don't want to complain about tthe rain since we have been complaining so long about NO rain. But it would be nice to have it spread out a bit.

Susan
=^..^=

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

there are been between 9" & 13" in this part of the state in 2 days. & for some reason we are flooded. Our place is just wet & have a small amount of water in the back yard. But couldn't get into work this morning as the streets were flooded, so drove 34 miles to the main office. Unless theres more rain tonight should not have any problem getting in tomorrow morning.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Langbr- we're all coming over for a swim and a barbecue - LOL.

Well shoot may need you guys to help me plant all those new beds! I have flat after flat after flat of plants and box after box of bulbs and you can see I didn't get all the shrubs planted before the rains hit.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I am very concerned about those of you in the KS & KC area. All that water spells trouble somewhere down the line. I think the river(MO?) is suppose to crest on Wed. are 38' or something like that. Worse flood since '93 I hear. I haven't heard from Kris about her situation. The weather map showed all those counties. Kyle works in K.C, too.

I called my supervisor at PG to see what was left that I could have held for me until I get there Wed. to pay for it. She didn't kow what if any dianthis where left and none of the echineacea were left. That was about all I was interested in getting.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

It's mostly annuals and clematis left along with the boxwood.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Langbr---- Is that pool poured concrete type???

Crystal----Do you want a pool??? I can get you in touch with someone in your area that can build some beauties. He has had one in Better homes and Gardens. and also St Louis Homes Magazine. I will be seeing him up there mothers day weekend.

Ozarkian - A pool would be great, but hubby just won't go for it. It's a maintenance thing with him. Plus, my kiddo is going away to college this year and that kinda eats at the money a bit. He did get a 50% scholarship, but we still have to come up with thousands. Ouch!!! On the plus side, he does get to play baseball. He's going to Benedictine University, near Chicago. What will I do without my baby? (Boohoo all the time)

Oh, my hummer babies have returned. I put out fresh sugar water for them a day ago and they are drinking like crazy. Soooo cute!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.