My killdeer

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

We had a pair of killdeer nest in the river rock that surrounds our inground pool last year. What a treat! We knew they were back and I suspected they were the same pair. Yesterday I was out watering some new plantings and doing some other things in my yard. One of them, probably the female was putting on quite a show... the whole broken wing dance, different songs than usual. Sure enough, one perfect killdeer egg in the same nest as last year. We didn't even find them last year until after all 4 were laid, so I'll be able to keep better track this time.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

We call them Lucy & Ricky because of all the racket they make. I swear they never sleep. We had 3 chicks last year. Not sure what happened to the 4th egg. Little Lucie, Little Ricky, & Ethel. For anybody not familiar with killdeer, they are precocial, meaning that the chicks can move around as soon as their feathers are dry, like chickens. They are adorable.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Marlton, NJ

Oh how exciting! I love killdeers, they are so cool looking. Thanks for posting these and be sure to keep us updated with their progress.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I had to put up a little fence around the nest because we were opening our pool and for sure the pool guys would have stepped on the eggs. We're not opening the pool until later this year, so they should be hatched and on their way by then.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

pelletory, I sure will! I'm really excited that they came back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.