Weather: May daily weather # 1, Did you get May Flowers?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hope April showers brought May Flowers.

57 here now looking for 84 as a High Today.....
May? Should be around 70.... LOL!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Ric,

Been busy installing a new water heater and have not had much time to post, fortunately the wx here has been good (one less thing to worry about ).

If you talk to Sidney, tell her I'll repair her puter - all she needs to do is get it here.

Yes. Sidney, this is a repair I am sure I can do. No matter what is wrong w/it.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. Can you fix IE?? You would be everyone's hero if you could. LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm using firefox (monzilla), there is a reason for that!

Micosoft is actually a good co, IMHO, however, again IMHO they have a long ways to go before they will steal the right software,

Sorry, will get off the soap box..

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Dinu – Very nice pictures! Thank you for the links. I fully understand about “development”. We’ve got a lot of that going on here as well :P
Deb – Got any rain yet? We’re dry, dry, dry and under a burn ban. Imagine that.
Pepper – Turn on your fans and point that rain in our direction!
Ric – April showers? We got sprinkles! What kind of flowers are those? Very pretty.
Dyson – There you are! Hope your house and possessions survived the flood.
Here’s the floor! Yay!
Now we have to paint and redo the cabinets - never ends...

Thumbnail by MySharona

Forgot the weather.

66.2 °F / 19 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 57 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2000 ft / 609 m

The fire has burned over 80,000 acres now:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=81106

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. Haze through the day. High 86 coast. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

A little visitor...

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharon, thanx for the pics.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for starting the thread, Ric. I hope Sidney gets her computer fixed soon and that she isn't anywhere near the fires in Georgia.

It rained here yesterday, Sharon, so it should be to you in a couple of days. Yayy! Your floor looks great! And the frog is so cute. :-)

Dinu, I hope it cools off for you! "Just 35°C" is 95°F. We get there in the summer, too, and it is not fun. Please be careful. :-)

We got a little over an inch of rain yesterday afternoon and I am sure the new plants from our roundup are almost as grateful as I am. :-) There's a 50% chance of more rain today with the highs in the lower 80s.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (58 min ago)
Temperature 72 °F 22 °C
Dew Point 68 °F 20 °C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.5 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150°
Ceiling 2400 ft 732 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 76 °F 24 °C
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 68.0°F / 20.0°C

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

HOLA! Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!!!! My many years in Miami brought me to love the festivities associated with this date. My flowering plants seem to know this is the day for showing off, and everything is doing just that!

April and May are the BEST months here, then the temps creep into the 90's, the humidity climbs, and the hurricane season starts. But I wouldn't change it for any place in the world!
Pati

(Zone 3b)

7am, 35*F, sunrise: 5:49; Sunset: 10:05.
Kiska

(Zone 3b)

Worked that time, so will say good morning to all. Lost 2 out of 3 posts yesterday, very unusual;
Thanks, Ric, for this thread; hi to Sidney in GA.
Pati - sounds wonderful there with all the flowers adding to the festivities.
Sharon - the tile looks great - such a shame about the continuing fires. (no comment on the frog except glad it's something you like: ))
Marylyn - hope the flowers get a bit more rain you want.
Dinu - I loved seeing the palace/buildings on the other thread.
Will try attaching a photo next time..still don't trust this will go:))
Kiska

(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone.

It's blustery, cloudy and few rain drops now and then and 52°F so we're slowly returning to more seasonal temps. The folks up north that have been enjoying the almost 70 temps for the past 3 days are in for 34°F and slush on Friday according to the forecast. I've cleaned off all the flower beds so I hope we don't get hit with such brutal frost spells as we got last year ......... we're always expecting the worst.

Sharon - I hope it'll rain soon there in your area and Georgia where those fires are - two weeks is a long time for fires to be burning ....... Your tiles look great and your visitor is soooo cute :-)

May flowers - my cherry blossoms (Prunus kurilensis 'Rosea') - doesn't produce fruit but the flowers are pretty.

Is today a holiday in the US ?

Thumbnail by rannveig
Kernville, CA

Hi Everyone,

76 and the wind is kicking up today.
Glad no wind the last couple days, because there was a wildfire on the steep rocky mountains a mile north. I was standing at thegrocery store deli counter waiting, when someone behind me says, "Mr. James, Kern County Arson, I would like you to tell me what you told him". I guess the fire was an arson. 2 helicopters and a bomber plane worked for 2 1/2 days to put it out.

Rann: May Day is not an officail holiday here. Is it there? I love daffodils.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: Your floor looks great! No rain yet. We had 2" of rain for the month of April and that came in one day. Our weather forecast this week includes a smoke warning. We are also under a "no burn". It hit 88F today. Bye Bye springtime--- hello summer.
We do have May flowers at least!
Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Expanded Observations Tue, 01 May 2007 22:54:00 GMT (6:54 PM ET)
Reporting Station KROA
Weather/Sky Few Clouds
Temperature (°F) / (°C) 88 / 31
Dewpoint (°F) / (°C) 46 / 8
Relative Humidity 23 %
Wind (mph) SW 14
Gusts (mph) 18
Visibility (miles) 10
Ceiling (feet) Unl
Heat Index (°F) / (°C) 85 / 29
Wind Chill (°F) / (°C) 88 / 31
Barometric Pressure (inches) 29.88 and Tendency N/A
6hr Min Temp (recorded 00-6,6-12,12-18 or 18-00 UTC/Z) 65 (°F)
6hr Max Temp (recorded 00-6,6-12,12-18 or 18-00 UTC/Z) 90 (°F)
Yesterday's Low Temp 57 (°F)
Yesterday's High Temp 88 (°F)

Ok, I've been slackin' (sometimes it is a good thing).

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful cloudy day here, Currently 69F, thunder and lightening as the cold air is sneaking underneath that southern warm air we had for the past several days. Gotta go.

Muggy here and it only got to 71* Felt like 90. Some sprinkles off and on all day also.

Dyson, I tried to switch to Firefox but computer said no way. lol. So stuck with IE.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The blue flower in my opening shot is Centaurea montana.
Sorry I didn't label it.

We hit neat 90 today... it should cool back down to normal (70) by tomorrow

Here's one of our Columbines.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

We are normal. LOL.

Thanks everyone – The floor really does look good. I ALMost can’t wait to do the rest of it…almost.
Kiska – Sorry, know you don’t do lizards, but didn’t know about the frogs.
Rann – May 5 is Cinco de Mayo, but the party is the whole week. BUT, we have the Shrimp Festival this weekend, which is huge for us. Fri – Sun. It’s a lot of fun.
Tigpie _Wow that’s quite an announcement. Hopefully they got the arsonist.
Well, looks like we were all close to 88 today, it was a scorcher and only going to get hotter.
Good Night All!

Smoke

This message was edited May 2, 2007 7:06 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

That smoke looks bad. Is this the same fire that has been burning since last week? Does it bother your eyes or sinuses?

Cinco de Mayo commemorates the defeat of French troops who were trying to set up a puppet government in Mexico. http://www.mexonline.com/cinco-de-mayo.htm

It is dark now. I have zombie jet lag. I'm too tired to sleep.

Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
59 °F / 15 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the SE

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli - OMG - That's such a beautiful picture - where in the world was Kelli?!!! Yes it's from the same fire. It depends on if the winds are blowing SE that we get hammered with smoke. And, yes there are days that I can't go outside. I have MVR - the smoke makes me have chest pains.

Over 87,000 acres burned now -
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/georgia/news-article.aspx?storyid=81106

64.9 °F / 18 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 57 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa(Steady)
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft / 1219 m

Today
Mostly sunny. High 86 coast. South winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the east 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Aeschynanthus Radicans ‘Rasta’

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

87K acres? and i am worried about the 1.2 acres i have been blessed enough to live on, it is hard to think of, that much forest, count our blessing as we are not in the area, but I do have some family down that way ,,, need to call mom & see if they are affected.

everyone have a good day.

(Zone 3b)

38*F, sunrise was 5:46 - sets tonight at 10:08pm.... generally speaking, from about 8pm, if it's been cloudy most of the day, the sun comes out and from then on it's a beautiful, sunny "night", for a few hours.
MySharona - been too many years away from frogs, etc, and now, get the chills seeing them...but, that's my problem and please don't change what you post; I can remember that at one time, as a kid, I even held them:)) Seeing all that smoke and how you're affected, I'm sorry for your health problems.
Dyson, is your family ok?
Kelli - yes, where was that taken? so pretty.
pepper23 - so glad you're "normal" :))
Ric - nice boquet of columbine. The wild ones here will be blooming in June. There is just a hint today of the swelling leaf buds on the trees..will be green in a few days, now.
Eagle above the nest..it landed it a nearby tree. This is a nest I've been watching for several years.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson - I hope your family is ok. It's such a sad situation - so many people have been affected by the fire.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=81179

Kiska - I would love to see another eagle in person. The only time I saw one in flight and in person was driving through Maryland. The experts say that the eaglets return "home" after 4-5 years to start a family. I think that's really neat!

I was able to go out for a little while, but the smoke is coming back - guess I'll vacuum (gag - my least favorite chore).

I bagged a Sylvester!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

Sharon - eagles are certainly impressive in flight so glad you've seen it for yourself. Love how Sylvester is right at home there:)
Just read the link to the fires; thanks for putting it in. Such a loss to so many families.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Tigpie - yes May 1st is an official holiday here so today is like another Monday ;-)

Sharon - sorry to hear the smoke's still hanging around to bother you

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

The picture is the Louvre and the Tuileries gardens. DH had a business trip to Paris and it was sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to go along. I had never been more than maybe three miles from the U.S. border before.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Kernville, CA

Hi Everyone,

I'm enjoying reading all the posts.
It is warm/cool today, breezy with gusts.
The helicopters have been keeping me company while loading up with river water to make sure the fire is "dead out". I've been combing the small hill right next to the house, and surprisingly getting bags and bags of ground mulch. Thought I had the fire clearances done! Well great stuff for building soil!

Rann: I don't understand; "like another Monday" ?
Kiska: meant to ask you; was that your plane?

(Zone 3b)

tigpie - glad the fire is out - especially with the gusting wind to cause problems.
The plane is not ours:). The airport at Palmer is home to small planes, w/the larger USForest Service planes for fire-fighting. No commercial-size passenger planes land at Palmer, those come in at Anchorage, about 50 miles from here.
Kelli - bet you loved being there this time of year - what came to mind was the song, "April in Paris".
52*F, nearly noon, with high patchy clouds.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It's a beautiful 58º outside with plenty of sunshine and a nice breeze. I wish we could ship some of our rain down south. We had severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings last night and received another 2 " of rain so there is standing water in the yard again. We're expecting lots of sun and no rain for the next 5 days so it will dry up quickly. They are not sure if any of the tornados that were spotted actually touched down but there was a lot of damage in the area. Plenty of trees came down on houses and a hanger and plane were destroyed at the local airport. Luckily the worst of it passed to the north and south of me.

Kiska.......is that a "new" moose picture? Believe it or not, we have quite a few eagles here too. (by eastern U.S. standards, not Alaska's) There are at least a dozen active nests here in Crawford County. I see them quite often. Do your eagles like roadkill as much as ours do?

Kelli.........Springtime in Paris. What could be better then that.

Sharon.........I've been following the fire on the news. The "Smoke " photo you posted really tells the story. I had no idea you were getting that much! Of course it looks like that around here sometimes too.......when I'm barbecueing. :)

I looked at the weather forecast and decided to take a couple of vacation days. Doing some yardwork and I went for an early drive and found this big old tom turkey strutting in the morning light.................

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

oops! Double post.
early_bloomer

This message was edited May 2, 2007 5:25 PM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Here's a closer view. Nothing to brag about but it was taken hand held at the far end of my cameras zoom range. (12 optical--48 digital) I can't believe how well the image stabilization works.

early_bloomer

This message was edited May 2, 2007 4:54 PM

(Zone 3b)

The wind has come up, but still in the 50's so that's good. Next week should bring temps in the 60's.
E_B - the turkey is fantastic - I've never seen one in the wild. Glad you've got good weather and time off to enjoy it.
Haven't ever seen an eagle at a road kill. Mostly moose killed on hiway/railroad, and the ravens take care of it.
These moose were here last week and my kitty, Holly, loved stalking them till the mom made a move.
Kiska

Kiska - I can’t wait to see your home without snow and green! I’m sure it gorgeous. I’m lovin’ the moose pics!
Kelli – So glad you could go to France. I’ve been, but it was almost (yikes) 30 years ago!
E_B – Send rain! Seriously, I hope no one was hurt during the storms. Tornados are as vicious as hurricanes in less time. That is the largest turkey I’ve ever seen! I didn’t know they are so colorful.

It’s still smoky out. Unfortunately I’m getting kind of used to it. :P The news is reporting 100,000 acres burned now.

Okay tomorrow begins the Shrimp Festival! YAY! I love shrimp. Here's the link - it's a lot of fun!
http://www.shrimpfestival.com/directions.html

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

89F today and sunny. Still no rain. It was smoky here today, too Sharon, but not as bad as in your photo. Hope that fire is done soon. You must be so tired of that haze.
Deb

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Mid sixties most of today. 1/2 in of rain overnight, but a good stiff breeze is drying things up nicely.

I love columbine. Started a tray of McKana's giants last year and they are just beginning to produce little scapes. I must have a dozen new ones. Don't know what colors are yet. Also my coralbells are scaping so I know the hummers are around. Have to get a feeder for them again. Can't find last years. LOL

This is "Appleblossom Time" in my area. I am planting box after box of brand new daylilies. Farmers are planting- CORN!

Rain all day and it only got into the low 60s and not for very long. The gardeners were very cold and wet today and several times were throwing their jackets into the dryer to dry them up a little and to warm up. I felt sorry for them. Plus our guys who do the mowing were out there mowing in it too.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well it seems our weather has skipped pepper's and se_eds..
It was 70 and muggy and intermittent cloud cover.
Tomorrow we have a better chance at some rain but still not much....

Here's my Favorite (at the moment...lol) Hosta..
Abiqua 'Drinking Gourd'

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric, that was our weather yesterday. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.