adenium obesum (desert rose)

San Antonio, TX

I have a new desert rose-4" pot, plant 6" tall. Want to put it into larger pot and
my question is: how deep do I plant it, only as deep as it is in this small pot??
Anyone have any info , will appreciate hearing from you. Ty

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Ty, I had asked for advice on potting my adenium as well and the advice I got was a shallow pot that is not too big around. The smaller snugger pot will discourage root rot is what I heard. I was told only to repot if the plant was busting out of the current pot. Also, a shallow pot will encourage the caudex to bulge out. Hope this helps.

Becky

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Ty,

This is a great article that is worth reading.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/andre/large.html

I actually bought a small A. obesium this spring so I can test this method of growing. It is still in its original small pot, so I do not have any personal experience yet. Hopefully by the end of the summer.

David

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is my adenium. I am finally satisfied with the container so I hope it does really well now!

Thumbnail by shortstuff430
West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Shortstuff, what adenium is that? Did you bury the caudex?

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Its supposed to be adenium obesum. I got it at Home Depot last year around September or October. I did not bury the caudex. It didn't come plumped up like all the other ones. I got this one for 12.99 or something. I have been seeing the pretty plump caudex adeniums here lately for 29.98 at HGC and a local nursery. I put it in a shallower (is that a word?) dish to see if it would plump out. Someone on the forums also told me to pinch it back and it would encourage the caudex to fatten. So I did...that is what that stump in the middle is about. There was another branch there. A friend of mine told me to give it african violet food as he does that with his. I don't know if I put too much or if I shocked it because I had just pinched it but my adenium didn't seem to like it too much! It is starting to look better now, leaves are growing but no fatening of the caudex or flowers yet.

This message was edited May 4, 2007 3:13 PM

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Shortstuff, it looks like a rooted cutting to me.

Best regards,

Martin

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

After reading some threads and seeing some pics I thought that too. My understanding is the cutting don't develope a fat caudex, right? Oh well! If it at least flowers I will be happy for now. I can always get another later. :)

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Shortstuff, it will never develop a caudex but thickened roots. It takes years depending on your climate, though. Take a look at Mark Dimmitts five year old cutting: http://cactus-mall.com/andre/49.jpg

Best regards,

Martin

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info, Martin. If it would at least look like that I would be delighted! I just want it stay healthy and live. lol

Shortstuff, how is your plant doing now? Have you got flowers yet?

This message was edited Aug 19, 2007 4:02 PM

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I was gone from DG for a while but came back and renewed my subscription. I neglected the poor thing so it is doing pretty poorly. I repotted it but I want to cut it down to size. I think it is too tall. I also need something to keep it from falling over. Can i put a thin layer of pebbles on top?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.