What did you do this weekend?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I visited Kassia! She has a huge yard in an idyllic setting - backyard edge with open woods backing onto a river. (House is higher, so little risk of flooding)

Her yard is going to look like an English Cottage Garden - all raised beds with lots and lots of roses and rose companion plants. Kassia also makes a very good cup of coffee :-)

While I was there, I met two of Kassia's friends, including the famous Laura with the clivia (?) plant. Laura pruned two of Kassia's roses (hybrid perpetuals). Anyway, I took the cuttings and now I am trying to root them. Cuttings are "La Riene" (I think) and 'Frau Karl Druschki' (Kassia, correct me if I have the name wrong).

It was truly a wonderful day.

Today, I planted the datura Kassia gave me in to 5" pots. I also planted some other plants in the gardens.

Now I must discipline myself to mark papers.

Hope your weekend was great.

Seandor

Thumbnail by Seandor
Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

Beautiful ladies and gorgeous smiles ~ how wicked cool that you were able to meet and spend fun, quality time together!!!

Kassia's garden will no doubt be spectacular, and the nay-sayers will soon step back in awe!!

Please keep us posted Seandor on the progress of your rose cuttings and datura. What a great way to enjoy yourself before marking your papers!

Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

Oh, forgot to mention ~ I spent part of the weekend pulling those annoying Norway Maple seedlings out of the ground....arrrgggghhhh!

On the upswing, I ordered some hostas from Naylor Creek and a couple of Snow Fountains weeping cherry trees from Sooner Plant Farm ~ YAY!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh, I look horrible... my sister took that picture... and she made me look ugly on purpose... that's what I tell her!!!!

More roses coming today.... and tons of seeds to sow tonight... so I can put them outside tomorrow morning... or I will never have any veggies.....

Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

That's a GREAT photo and you both look lovely!! I can't wait to see your divine rose garden ~ you will be the envy of your neighborhood (especially those who offered their unsolicited criticisms)!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

well, come over... oh I am dreaming of roses.... every day I go and check their progress.... lol.... last night I almost finished assigning their places.... I keep changing my mind!!!! every long L shape bed will have it's predominant color - one is orange/apricot; the other one is pink, and so on... but all the smaller roses in between the bigger ones will be Ebb tide, purple heart, midnight blue, and some of the minis will be also planted in ground maybe next year....
now the fun begins!!!! I should get all the David Austin roses today, and by the 5/14 they should all be here....

oh I am happy!!!!! the sun is out and the weekend looks gorgeous!!!!

Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

Kassia, one of these days I will definitely take you up on your offer ~ after you get everything planted so I can see it first-hand! I'm about an hour drive from you, so sometime this summer, OK? I very much look forward to this!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

absolutly!!!! if I can drive for water fire, you can come here.... it will be a pleasure!!!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, tehegemon, you should see Kassia's roses! And Kassia makes great coffee. Next time you are swinging through western Mass, drop by and see me as well. :-)

Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

Seandor, you bet ~ I intend to visit you both sometime this summer to view your fabulous gardens and enjoy some great coffee ~ many thanks to you both for the lovely invitations!!! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.