Rescue and Chick-proof

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I rescued 2 baby grackles from my little fountain yesterday, and then fixed it where that won't happen again.... I hope..

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Put chicken wire snuggly over the reservoir .....

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Awww, its a good thing you were there and saw what was happening! This chick looks like a cute little vulture lol! Did the mother ever come back for them?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thx Lily!!
Oh yeah, mom was right on top of the situation....

Marlton, NJ

He is vulture looking! Nice pic w/caption.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was outside today and suddenly heard a lot of commotion in the back neighbor's yard. When I peeped over the fence I saw their dog had a baby grackle in his mouth.. He kept pawing it and holding it's head down.. Repeatedly taking it in his mouth, and trying to kill it. .. Of course I was screaming at the dog to let it go, "Sonny, put that bird down!!!" About 30 female Grackles surrounded him, but weren't deterring him a bit.. Finally the neighbor came out and stopped him. I asked her to hand the little guy to me over the fence.
Whew! He was alright, not a single broken bone.. Remarkably calm too. So I set him out and watched for a bit to see if his mom would come tend to him. Almost an hour passed, so I got some mealies and put a few down his throat.. Seemed to perk him up and he found his squeaky voice. He came back to me for more a little bit later, and then hopped over and sat on the fountain... This time he wasn't able to hop in and get trapped.... The repair seems to have worked. Birds can still drink from the waterfall part.

Nothing boring around here!

:-)

Marlton, NJ

Gee that would be upsetting. Glad he was okay.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.