Keeping rodents out of the vegetable patch

Spring Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Can anyone suggest a effective and simple way to make a fence that will keep out rabbits, woodchucks, groundhogs, etc?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

For the non-climbers, I'm putting in welded 4" wire that is 5 ft tall and goes under ground about 12 inches. I would have put something with smaller holes too keep out the chipmonks, but I recently saw some climb right over a 6 ft tall chainlink fence, so I gave up on height keeping them out. My dogs and darling granddaughter seem to be the main distructive forces in the garden right now.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I seem to do OK with "rabbit fence" , maybe helped that there are some food sources for the groundhog outside of the garden (mine like to eat lamb's quarter, fleabane, black eyed susans..someone said they love buckwheat.) and I will be planting onion-family things and marigolds to try to deter by smell. also read that the critters need water so to keep some water outside the garden

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Good idea about the water. Didn't think about that. Right now I have a 5 gal bucket of water in the garden area for the canines. I think I will relocate it about 100ft away :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.