How many hosta varieties do you have????

Virginia Beach, VA

This might be an old thread but being just a year here I am just curious!!!Let me start--- I have over 300 excluding the new orders. Bellie

Mchenry, IL(Zone 5a)

wow, i have about 50 varieties, i love the giant blue and green. they are slow growing but WOW. what beauties. my stiletto died this past winter. i think my new puppy dug it up. i am so mad now i need another one! kathy

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kathy,
I will gladly trade you an eye or two of Stileto for an eye or two of Twilight.. Mine didn't come back this year, but Stileto is back with a vengence.
Fran

Bettendorf, IA

As far as varieties I have about 70 in the ground and 35 coming in sometime soon betwen the co-ops and Hills Gardens. I won't buy any more this year (maybe a one here or there in person) and next year will pare down even further as I fill up my space and let everything start to fill it up!

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have 188 varieties that I can name and 59 on order! I have a few that were gifts and am still scratching my head about....

I lost my Morning Light and Samurai this winter, but have them on order. Does anybody have Lakeside Lollipop? Mine is not showing up yet, but it may be too early for that one. Anybody else seen theirs this spring? I may have to look for that one, also. I always give the pretty ones two tries!!!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I have all i can manage about 103 varieties

New Bern, NC

So far I have about 70, but I can't pass a pretty face without wanting to take it home with me; it's a sickness you know!! I was just thinking about making a pass through some of New Bern's garden shops to see if I could find any lonesome looking hostas to adopt. I have started looking at the grass in the lawn as a possible hosta bed, less grass to cut don't you know!! The DW is convinced I'm addicted. She may be correct!
John

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm new to hosta so I only have my no name that I know of generic one (which is leafed out beautifully at the moment). I do have 8 coming for me from co-ops so I'm very excited about that. I even bought some for my friends mom who also had the generic garden center variety massed out along the front of her house in front of the azaleas. They are huge green and white monsters, so pretty. But she wanted some other colors so I ordered her a few larger types (Montan Aureomarginata, On Stage and Olive Baily Langdon) which I hope she likes.

I've got such a limited amount of space that I have to keep my choices to the minis and small types.
Bitter Lemons
Whirligig
Grand Tiara
Twist of Lime
Fujibotan
Miss Tokyo
Heart and Soul
Raspberry Sorbet

I don't know exactly where they'll be going yet:LOL: I already know I want more next season of co-ops so I think I'll be needing to look for a house this year:) That's sorta nuts, I need to buy a house because my plants need more room:LOL:

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I ended last season with 76 varieties, but it's still too early here to tell how many made it through the winter. I'm seeing some poking up. Others are under crocus foliage or haven't yet appeared. I suspect that I may have lost Revolution which wasn't doing well last year. I had it in a pot which I sunk into the garden only to have the squirrels dig into it.

I have about 20 on order for this year and there are about 5 more that hope to acquire from local sources.

Ann

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I have 37 at last count. I had limited shade to use until just recently. Our dogs are a bit older and not such diggers anymore which gives me the whole back yard to play with. I started with a few big ones over the last 2 summers to see how it would go. Miss Saigon, Tutu, Komodo Dragon, and Fragrant Bouquet. This spring I decided that everything was open season and have added 10 more plus coral bells, ferns, columbines, and impatiens for more color. And Plant Delights opens next weekend!!

Virginia Beach, VA

It takes time to have a big collection. I had been colleccting hostas for 15 years and I still buy. In fact i have over $600.00 on order between DG coop and hosta direct. I hope my f DH will not find out . I am a hostaholic and can't help it.Most of my collection is in pots because i am running out of space. I envy those who has big acreage. Bellie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have about 40 with only two on order. I have lost a couple this spring I'm afraid but I'm not giving up yet on a couple of them.

I'm taking OZ's advice that I'm already out of room! - well, aside from the two.

Do you replant things in the same space in the ground if one dies there?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Sometimes I do, Sometimes not. The Revolution which didn't do well last year, I decided was competing with a tree root (Linden Tree) and while I have many others nearby under that tree, I didn't put one back in exactly the same space.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm an amateur!! I'm amazed at the numbers I'm seeing. Is this my future? Probably. :) So far tho, I have so few varieties that I can almost count them on my fingers...almost.
A grand total of 11. My fave is "Sum and Substance".
Deb

Lexington, KY

About 250 with another 50-75 seedlings in the ground plus another 40 seedlings growing from seed. Thankfully I am almost out of shade.

Brooke

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Bellie,

I'm so jealous! Fifteen years, you must have some beautiful ones! Sometime you should post your list (after planting season, of course!).

I just had a friend till up two more spots for hostas today. I'm getting ready for my orders to start arriving! Can't wait!

Virginia Beach, VA

I will be posting pictures soon. I still have to label mine better, right now I use the plastic, just bought a labeller but can not figure out how to work it.I hate reading instructions. Happy gardening!!! Bellie

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Gee, Bellie. VA Beach isn't that far from us. I'd love to see the collection! Pictures will have to do, though. Can't wait to see them.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Over 20, I think. Maybe 30. I have to see what has made it through the winter in a couple of spots. But several are the jumbos like Gold Standard, Royal Standard and Sum and Substance and my $5.00 for the whole box yard sale hosta that is a humungus and fast growing green. Do those count as more than one each? I have 3 sum and substance from my one original plant. And then there's the humungus green I traded for at the RU in Springfield, MA hmm. I think I may have lost count here. It's possible.
Martha

Virginia Beach, VA

Tggfisk,
If you are ever in Va. Beach you are welcome to come and see the garden. Dh helped this year, put in 66 bags of red mulch so I do not have to weed. What an Angel!!! Also I met this lady from church who had been helping me. Happy gardening!! Bellie

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I only have 15 but I love all of them.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, the dream of no weeds:))) I'll keep the invite in mind. Summer's on the way! So nice to see you have help. My dh does lots of digging for me, and he keeps the compost pile cooking. Oh, and he tolerates my plant collecting:)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Gardenmart, DebinSC, Doss, tggfisk and Makshi, you are well on your way to being afflicted with CHAD. Two years ago I thought I had a lot at 35. Three years ago, it was more like 20. This year, I expect to top 100. And I love them all. but I can stop buying any time I like. I know I can. Really.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

How many steps are in the hostaholic anon. handbook??

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow! So glad that I'm now official!! DH will be so happy to hear I get a membership with my purchases. LOL

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

LOL! Viola, I was strolling thru Lowes at lunch time today and - uh oh - there they were. I had to use great restraint. Only got one. I need an intervention! :D
Deb

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh dear I think I missed a few of those steps. Just this spring I went from about 10 hostas to about 40 or so.

MollyD

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi, My name's Beverly, and I'm a hostaholic. I'm fessin' up right now, because I'll be a PDN by 8 am on Sat. If I must really tell it like it is, I have been quilty of skipping work on the first Friday opening...It's very difficult NOT to do this year!

Dallas, TX

I lost some somewhwere or I miscounted I am down to 165.

Carmichael, CA

I am so glad to know I am not alone. I just recently found different varieties of Hosta and it was like crack...I was hooked so quick!

I am growing from seed about 10 different types right now..and if I find more places...oh yes, there will be more.

I find myself looking for them wherever I go now....

Mchenry, IL(Zone 5a)

my stilleto poped up yesterday! am so excited.frans530. i am a dork about keeping the names straight. is it the green one?. i will b happy to share... kathy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Well, I have to admit to being a true full blown holic. I have about 400 or so hostas and am going to be *thinning* this year. I just don't have enough room. I only have 6 on order which is amazing. Maybe there's hope for me yet.

Oh and I have no idea how many steps there are in hostas holics anonymous. I don't think anyone has ever had enough nerve or sense to write them down,,,lol

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this is only my 3rd yr of hostas and im over 200 named ones right now
Its another of my addictions..... it goes with the over 400 named daylilies!

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I have about 35 named varieties then another dozen unnamed varieties. I have dozens of seedlings I started from seed this past year. I will probably keep some of the better ones and give the rest away. It is hard to resist buying more. My master gardener group will be taking a tour of plant delights and from what I've heard about it I will be leaving with a lighter pocketbook. I am holding out for that trip.

I have been rearranging hostas this past weekend. All the plain jane green unnamed varieties are going to border the fence and decks and the prettier ones are getting the better spots. It is an ongoing work in process. I am trying to mix in ferns, huechera and astillbe. I am finally starting to get the results I am looking for. Now everything needs to grow, grow, GROW!

I love the look of hostas! I thought I had the hosta bug...now I can tell my DH that I only have a few compared to some others. LOL

This message was edited May 1, 2007 9:25 AM

Thumbnail by pinkpoodlegirl
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Kelly, you may THINK you are recovering, but just wait until you thin them out and have SPACE!

Bettendorf, IA

So Kelly - what will you be doing with all those you are thinning out???

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ann,,,,m
LOL,,,I thought about that and know I am weak

peg,
Selling them on the big eBay

Apex, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmmmm....this is the 3rd season for me collecting hostas. I made the first purchase on Mother's Day 2 years ago. I believe I have a little over 200 different varieties. So far I've been very good this year and haven't placed the first order. I even resisted when I went to the Farmer's Market over the weekend - Orange Marmalade almost sucked me in! Like tggfisk, I will be going to Plant Delights this weekend for the spring open house, so I'm sure I'll come home with at least 1 new hosta. And the NC Hosta Society is meeting at the end of May at Moongate Nursery in Reidsville, NC (that's the nursery that our president owns), so I am positive that I'll be getting hostas then.
~Angie

Bettendorf, IA

Hmmmm - Any previewing possibilities kelly? Like for your VIP DG friends :)

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Yeah...just like Peg says ;-)

MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.