Powell Gardens Plant Sale

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok, those of you who wanted info about this sale, here ya go. The sale is next weekend -

May 5th, 10 am-5pm and on May 6th from noon-5pm. May 4th is Friend's Preview night so if you are a Friend's member of PG then come Friday night.

PG is located on 50 hwy east of Kansas City about 30 miles. Easy, easy to find.

Here is a complete list of what will be there.

COME EARLY FOR BEST SELECTION!!! Everything sells out fast and sometimes fights break out.

www.powellgardens.org/default.asp?page=PlantSale

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pepper. I went to a Fall Plant sale there in Sept. 04'. It was interesting, my friend bought a Persimmon tree, it is the only thing still alive from that trip.
I don't remember any fights, but I remember these ladies were watching me trampling thru the off the path area. I was collecting Swamp White Oak acorns, I was careful not to step on anything else, unbeknownst to them. Those germinated very good btw. I also got some Coffeetree seeds from the parking lot that germinated too if I remember. I got seeds from the Cercis canadensis 'Alba' (White Redbud) on the walk on the way in, then it hit me they would grow to be straight Redbuds if they grew.
I haven't been a friend of Powell Gardens since 01'.
We went there last year for Mothers Day, maybe we'll go there again I hope, Powell Gardens is a nice place. I like the understory small trees that are growing in the shade there in that walk thru the woods. The Ash Magnolia in there is one of my favorites.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

LOL. Boy you were busy!! They were probably trying to figure out what you were doing. Not very often we see people doing that.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

My mom, my 5-yr old and 13-yr old daughters and I will be going on Sat. It's kind of becoming an annual tradition for us to go each year for the Plant Sale. Still working on getting my sister and her daughter to come with us this year.....then again if they don't it's more room in the car for plants! tee hee hee

My youngest loved the Monarch tent they had there...such a treat for little ones.

Just a reminder that the sale is THIS weekend.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Had a great time today with my mom, daughter, sister and niece. Weather was great (although it warmed up a bit around 1:30...we dodged into the coolness of the cafe for some lunch). Not quite as much in bloom this year as in the past. I think the late freeze we had did in a lot of things. Magnolias really were hit as were some of the dogwoods. The azaleas in the woodland areas were gorgeous! Ended the day at the plant sale and left with 2 flats of plants. I got a lot of different coleus there which I will propagate thru cuttings to fill up containers.

Even better news, my mom become a Powell Gardens Member Plus (2-person + kids) so I get to go much more frequently.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Ah haaaa .
So this is where You went today Pep .
Did you have a note from your teacher ???

LOL. I went and bought a ton of plants this morning. The list is on the May is here thread.

Langbr did you get the Merlin's Magic Coleus? I meant to get several and only got one. lol. Glad you mom became a member!!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Pepper .....I'll have to check. I got 5 different coleus and don't remember which ones. I think one was not identified as to its cultivar. Figured I could get it id'd here on DG.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.