Where do you get your Heucheras?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I am just wondering if any of you buy them online and, if so, where you like to buy from? TIA

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi mgh,

I've been asking the same thing here and on Hallson's forum. I can't seem to get an answer since all I was told was that they went to nurseries around them! I tried that this morning and all I found was Purple Palace (why is that showing as Palace Purple these days?). Nothing else in the way of heucheras. I did find some online vendors but I haven't ordered from them yet so I can't tell you if they're good or bad. Hallson's has a small collection at nice prices. I got Obsidian from them. There's also Eminence Meadows http://www.eminencemeadows.com/heuch.htm They seem to have a really nice collection and Big Dipper http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/ their collection wasn't as big. Forest Farm http://www.forestfarm.com/search/search.asp?aPage=1&index=genus&field-keywords=Heuchera
had about 20 varieties. Prices seemed good.
Garden Crossings also had a nice selection but were a bit more expensive http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.main&alphaKey=G-H&whichName=genus&showIntro=0&hardinessZone=

That's about all I found. Maybe someone here can comment on which offer the best plants.

MollyD

Thank you, Molly. You've given me some things to look at. I really like the pics on TNN site (and thought of a co-op), but I'm not so sure about getting all those little plants. I'm too chicken to do a live plant co-op! LOL I really like the variety they offer though.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

You're welcome. I sure hope someone else lets us know about any others that may be out there!

MollyD

I think my sister and I are going to place an order through Big Dipper Farms. I looked them up in the GW and they have a pretty good rating.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm not sure yet who I'll use but I think I have plenty of time yet. I don't want anything else coming in right now (in big numbers) cause I have many daylilies and hosta coming in soon.
I do have 18 Amber Waves in my greenhouse in gallon pots growing on too!
MollyD

18 Amber Waves! Why so many? Ok, that might be a silly question, but still. LOL BTW, Amber Waves is one I really want, but Big Dipper doesn't have it. :o(

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I shared a flat with someone. They got 18 and I got 18. I planned to sell some of them and keep 3 for myself.

I did see Amber Waves at some of those links I gave you.

MollyD

Yeah, but I'm too cheap to pay for two shipping costs. LOL

Do you have a nursery?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Just opened it this year. We're in our infancy. Name is RainDog Gardens. My web page goes by the same name.

MollyD

I'll have to go check it out. Thanks!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I think most people get at local nurseries. Some plants you just prefer to actually see when you are buying it. Lots of places online carry them but not always a large variety. Wayside, Bluestone Perennials etc.. but some have big price for very small plants.

Go to Dave's Garden watch dog and checkout the ones listed with good ratings. I never order anthing online untill I check there!

Good luck with Amber Waves, Molly ( belong to the other forum too and saw your post). I would have reccomended Caramel over Amber Waves. It is a more vigorous plant. Amber Waves seems to disappear for alot of people.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks Nanny. Wish I could find some heucheras locally where I live but so far only Purple Palace (do you know why some are calling it Palace Purple??). I didn't see Caramel when I got Amber Waves but I'll keep my eyes open. I'd love to have a try with that Lime Rickey (did I get the name right??). I know it's suppose to be hard but I do so enjoy the challenge of growing things that are difficult -LOL
I'd also like to find Georgia Peach and Marmalade.

MollyD

Thank you, Nanny. I went looking at HD yesterday and also found the Palace Purple (same as what you said, Molly.) I wonder why they are switching the name? I don't remember what else they had there, but I didn't really care for the selection. the prices weren't too bad though.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm wondering what it is with that name. Anyone know the story???

MollyD

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I don't know the story but it's Palace Purple on Plant Files. When you Google it, either way, you still get the same plant so it's a puzzle as to how it got so confusing.

Palace Purple is the correct name, but Purple Palace rolls of the tongue a little easier, so people tend to say that instead!

It is still early in the season so keep checking to find more plants available as it warms up.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

while looking for ground cover yesterday at the local Walmart... they had Palace Purple for $1.98
and they were a decent size (2x2" square pot) and healthy. I was very tempted to buy a few.

I just got a Peppermint Spice from Hallson and it seems a good size and very healthy.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Nanny was it always Palace Purple? I bought mine around the 1980's or earl 1990's (it's been with me a long time) and it was labelled then as Purple Palace. It's only recently that I've started seeing the name as Palace Purple. I
I found mine this morning. Weeds were covering it up so I had trouble locating it. Looks good. I'll be adding my new ones near it.

s there an official heuchera society the way there is for daylilies, hostas and other plants?

MollyD

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Molly,
I've aways seen it as Palace Purple even in the "olden days". LOL

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Hmmm.

I just got a plant at Wally World. In the middle of a lot of 'Palace Purples' was one labelled 'Plum Pudding' . At under $5. I decided to chance it and bought it. Figured if it was just 'Palace Purple' no loss anyway.
Now I've found 'Plum Pudding' on a vendor's sight but the picture there looked just a tad different from the plant I bought. The tag picture matched my plant. Does anyone have both 'Palace Purple' and 'Plum Pudding'? Can you tell me how they differ? I want to get this one labelled correctly.

Thanks!
MollyD

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Okay-LOL you guys can ignore my previous post. I did get 'Plum Pudding' It's slightly different from 'Palace Purple'. The edges of the leaves are more rounded on Plum and it has a silvery cast to the top. My 'Palace Purple' hasn't unfurled it's leaves yet but when I planted Plum near it I could see it was a slightly different shade of purple.
So now I have a new heuchera at a cheap price :-) I'm going back there this week to see if I can snag two more like it! When I was looking at their 'Palace Purple's they looked just like the 'Plum Puddings' so I'm wondering if they were mislabelled -VBG.

MollyD

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Mendy,

Check this page out!

http://www.lostintheflowers.com/

MollyD

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

That's a great link MollyD. Thanks for posting it.

Sandy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

You're welcome, I had fun reading it.

MollyD

Waterbury, CT

I live close to White Flower Farm and have purchased my heuchera's there. They have a website and a good rating on Daves. I also purchased Tiarella Candy Striper (not a heuchera, but close) which is now one of my favorites. Obsidian and especially Marmalade do well for me. I'll see how Lime Rickey and Stoplight do this year, they're slower to come up. I'd really like to get Caramel.

JoAnn

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Years ago I use to make the all day drive out to Whiteflower Farm (beautiful place). I was much younger then! I like their plants but the prices are higher than what I can find around me. If I can get them locally I also don't have to spring for shipping cost.

Thanks!
MollyD

Waterbury, CT

I agree, if it's common I will purchase it somewhere else. I always go to their annual sale and last year I picked up 3 Lime Rickey's for $2.00 each. It's a beautiful place to shop. I do like the quality of their plants (truer to the perfect color/form), but have not always been happy with their mail order as sometimes the plants can be small, but now always. Sometimes I don't mind paying more as it must cost a fortune to maintain their grounds.

Right now I'm looking forward to a few heucheras from the coop.

JoAnn

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

What coop Joann? Did I miss a heuchera coop here on Daves ?

MollyD

Waterbury, CT

The fern/heuchera coop from Summerkid offered about 6 different heuchera (Beauty of Color, Eco-magnifolia, Pewter Moon, Quilter's Joy, Snow Angel, and Crimson Curls). One was dropped, can't remember which. I think I purchased 4 varieties. It was here on Dave's and it was overwhelming the response it got. The plugs were $1.25 each.

JoAnn

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Yes I did miss that one :-( Hope it's repeated sometime soon. I could have collected quite a few heucheras there.

MollyD

Molly, I have had that page up in my browser ever since you put up the link, but I just haven't had time to read it! Uuuuhhhggg......co-oping and Little League have got me running. LOL I'll get there one of these days.

It's probably a good thing I missed SK's co-op! LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was at my local wally world tonight (I have to say, their selection was no where as good as the one in Lake Delton, Wisconsin)
and theirs was marked Palace Purple.... and that was the only variety of heuchera that they had.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I happened to be at one of the smaller Lowe's stores yesterday and looked at their selection. They only had two different Heuchera. One was Palace Purple. LOL I can't remember what the other one one. Gosh!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm sick of seeing only purple hostas everywhere I go! You'd think they were the only ones available out there!!!

MollyD

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Chuckle...I think I'd like to see some purple HOSTA. ;)

LOL, me too! ;o)

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh Boy I need to get more sleep -LOL Looks like 9 in the morning is wayyyy too early for me to be making any sense!

Just got back with some booty here. Went to a big local nursery and found some heucheras at the same price as the other nursery but what a difference in size!!! These were in one gallon pots and sending up scapes. Those others were obviously plugs in 3 x3 pots. So glad I waited. I got Lime Rickey, Marmalade, Chocolate Ruffles, Snow Angel and Peach Flambe (this one was twice as much as the others but a big plant!). That gives me a nice start to my heuchera collection. No rush to get others this year.

Does anyone know the correct way to pronounce heuchera? I've been saying hew-ch-era and the gal in the store said hew-ka-ra. Can't see how che turns into a ka sound!

MollyD

HEW - ker - uh

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks Nanny. So the che is pronounced like a K then?

MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.