what is the name of this siberian iris?

Madison, WI

This iris does not seem to match any in the PlantFiles. What is it?

Thumbnail by enya_34
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Is it Siberian or Japanese? Is there a rib running down the middle of the leaf blade? Mine looks similar to yours. Sorry my picture is on my DH's computer but I can reference you to my diary picture. I don't have a name for mine either. Just curious because I thought mine was a Japanese Iris.
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Cordeledawg_1177692649_505_tn.jpg

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Can you show a close-up and give a description as well? Definitely looks siberian to me.

BTW, it reminds me of Summer Sky.

Thumbnail by boojum
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Could be, Boojum. I was thinking of Gulls Wing or Snow Queen, maybe even Bridal Jig. Do you have a pic of Gull's Wing?

inanda

Nope. I have Snow Queen but no pics yet (got it in a trade last year). So is this a solid white or a blue and white, enya?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Definitely not Gulls Wing, or Bridal Jig, they have a much fuller and flatter flower.

Snow Queen is a good possibility.

It sure doesn't look blue enough for Summer Sky in the pic, but if it does have some blue in it maybe. If it had more yellow I would guess Kobana.

Looks like a sanguinea or species kind like Kobana, Summer Sky, or Snow Queen.

It also could be a versicolor, like Murrayana.

Can we get a closer pic?

This message was edited Apr 28, 2007 11:54 AM

Madison, WI

It's not in bloom now. I was making garden tags and could not find a record for this one.

It is siberian not japanese iris. Shape is somewhat similar to Snow Queen, but the color touch at the mouth is eyellow-green.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

hmmmm. We shall have to wait (for a photo). This will have to keep bumping.
inanda

My guess is Kobana because of the green but it may be a hybrid with a Kobana parent. Kobana has a smaller flower than most sibs. Do you remember the size of the blooms?

Thumbnail by boojum
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think it's Kobana also. Boojums picture does show more yellow than I recall them having.

Do you remember getting Kobana? Mine came from Ensata, but Iris City Gardens also carries it.

Sure is a lovely delicate thing.

Madison, WI

That looks very much like the flowers I remember. They are kind of small, but I am comparing them to beaded irises, and pointy.
I got it from a neighbour with a sheet of paper for the label, but I never lost it before I added the iris to my records. Then the neighbours moved...

This message was edited Apr 30, 2007 12:04 PM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a picture of mine close up...they may be the same one...lol mine is in bloom now..

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

One more...and I have no idea what the name is either..

Thumbnail by JanetS

Janet those don't look like Kobana to me-just to rule out one.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

One more picture, and I want you to look on this link and see if you think it may be Snow Bunting...thanks!

http://www.tranquil-lake.com/catalog/siberian.htm

Thumbnail by JanetS

Looks more like the one after Snow Bunting-Snowcrest- to me.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I will measure the height and the flower today. It appears several of them have the same"look" but different size blooms and different heights, so maybe that will help narrow it down. I also have another one beside these that is starting to come out and it looks like it may be Pink Haze...willh ave to see if the blooms are opened yet. Thanks!

Madison, WI

Yes, it seems that folliage would tell more. There seems a number that match the flower characteristics: SNOW QUEEN, LIGHTS OF PARIS ,SNOWCREST.
Anybody has a link to a good siberian iris photo library that could be used to ID irises?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I measure mine and looking at the photos and the measurements I think I have Snow Bunting....but I am reluctant to tell anyone that is the name if I share it with someone...lol I don't want to misrepresent it at all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.