Obsessed gardener?

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Are you an obsessed gardener? Take the test...

Normal Gardener
You know the Latin names of your plants.
Obsessed Gardener
You use them in conversations...with the plants!

Normal Gardener
You know the pH of your soil.
Obsessed Gardener
ALL your friends know the pH of your soil!

Normal Gardener
You are proud of your baby carrots.
Obsessed Gardener
You carry pictures of them in your wallet/purse!

Normal Gardener
You love to grow and cook your own vegetables.
Obsessed Gardener
Cook? Who has time to cook? ROFLOL I know this one!!!

Normal Gardener
You have dirt under your fingernails.
Obsessed Gardener
What fingernails?

Hmmm, who all can relate to these and what new ones can we add?

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

I only answered yep to the last two, but I got in trouble at the garden center last year for watering dry plants! Does that qualify me?

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, I think so! Maybe something like:

Normal Gardener
Complains to managment at ___ about dry, dying plants.
Obsessed Gardener
Gets kicked out of ___ for watering dry, dying plants.

LOL

Lana

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

Crash--that is so funny! I bet those little plants were grateful tho....

Kim

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

I have also deadheaded plants at the garden center! I really get some looks for that one! SO walks away from me as if he don't know me!

Waddy, KY

You may not have pictures of your plants/flowers but you can refer someone to your website.

I have fingernails until the first of March. It's all down hill from there!

My kids, bless their hearts, only get a "meal" on the weekends and in the winter. During the summer it may be anything!

Tonight it's pot up the 100 bare root daylilies left over from the garden fair and plant okra if we get 'round to it. The kids get pork steaks cause I can throw them in the oven.

Janet

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, I'm sure your kids get fed and don't miss the "meals" as much as you feel guilty not providing them.
Mother nature calls to come play, you must obey :~)

Lana

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I also deadhead roses (and flick off aphids) at the local garden center.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, dovey.
I'm surprised we haven't had more obsessed gardeners post in here...come on don't be shy, I know you're lurking out there :~D

Lana

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Every time we go to Home Depot or Lowes my husband parks at the garden entrance, he knows I have to look.
Roses are my thing... and I eavesdrop on customers while they are picking out their roses, it takes all my will power not to butt in and tell them how to choose a rose or why the one in their basket is a terrible choice.
Occasionally my mouth just opens on it's own accord and they get a mini rose seminar like it or not *L*

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

I wonder what the neighbors must think when they see me bent over and sometimes on my hands and knees, staring at the ground, scratching my head......at least 3 or 4 times a day? ( just lookin for any little baby seedlings peeking through the soil ) .....Do I really think they are going to germinate before my very eyes? .......They just might!........Even I am begining to think I have issues!

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Ok! Here it goes! Confessional time!
Here are my sins.

When I travel, I carry in my luggage: baggies. Rootone. Soil Moist, cutting shear and some times cardboard mailing tubes. yep, hoping I may "borrow" a cutting or two. If not, I pick off seed pods or seeds that have fallen out on the ground.

This is embarrasing to admit but I did one time "borrowed" a few seeds from a seed pod from a flower arrangement at a restaurant. I am not sure if that makes me obsessed or just plain crazy. My kids were mortified.

And for the extreme obsession confession is last year when I visited my daughter in Florida and bought so many plants that I mailed my luggage to my home via UPS and used 2 large boxes of plants as my luggage allowance on the plane. Even down to my carry on luggage and purse! When my husband came to pick me up at the airport, he couldn't believe what I had done. Priority is everything! LOL!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! Thats hilarious! And I thought I had issues! lol

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! The sad part is that those are only a FEW of my gardening obsession sins!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Wow, moonlit! That sounds like something my Mom would do...wait we did that on our trip home from WA State. Mom flew out to travel with us and the further along the trip home the more things we had to mail home to have room for her plants, trees, garden decor, etc. By the time we got home she barely had a hole for her butt to sit in in the back seat of my Explorer :~)

Lana

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Yep, I am also guilty of stuffing cars to the hilt with plants when traveling.

When we moved from New Jersey, the moving truck took our spare car and before putting the car inside the moving truck, I stuffed it with plants and left the windows part open. At first they weren't going to allow me to do it but eventually they let me as long as I signed a statement that they would not be held responsible. All plants made it alive.

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

moonlit, you may have to be moved to a whole other catagory! lol

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! I don't know what's beyond obsession! Probably insane!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Would you like a diagnosis from the seed germination staring lady? I may be able to shed some light on the situation!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

ROFLOL!!!

Lana

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

So you escaped from the plant asylum as I did! LOL!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oh!!!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Not exactly, in the OTHER building,the SEEDLING asylum!

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! Too Much!!!!!!!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh my gosh, until I read your post Moonlit I totally forgot about sneaking seeds home from Hawaii in Matt's dirty socks.
Everything has to go through agriculture check and they are totally serious about not taking anything off the island.
I had my story (lie) all ready, "We were hiking to the top of Na Wili Wili falls and the seeds must have collected in his socks, I had no idea they were there ... honest!"

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

OMG! LOL dovey!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I got them through without detection too!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! dovey! Ypu're nuts! lol..................although I am digging up more of my tiny front yard as we speak. Thanks to a fellow DGer and some BEAUTIFUL daylilies, AIN'T LIFE SWEET!

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! Dovey. When I was in Mexico in January, I found a long seed pod from a neat flowering tree which I used as a book mark for my tour book. When I got home, I found that it was still sandwiched between the pages. Honestly, it was very innocently brought to the USA! I don't know what I would have said if they would have stopped me at customs.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I think you should plant it and see if it grows

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Bump. This is funny enough for another go round. We have some new ORVG'ers who can add their transgressions/obsessions ;)

Lana

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I missed this one. How funny! Maggie, what seed pod did you lift from the flower arrangement and, more importantly, did the seeds germinate for you?

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

Actually one of the seeds did germinate and it looked like the leaves were palmate type but alas it was short lived. I didn't take care of it well and it dried up.

I have some seeds of some sort of coneflower that I "borrowed" from when I visited the pyramids in Mexico. I also have some "borrowed seeds" from some plants when I went to see the migration of the Monarchs in Mexico. I haven't planted them to see if they would grow. Will have to try it sometime.

I formed a plant club in my neighborhood some years ago. We are called the Greystone Plant Pigs! I think that says it all.

Maggie

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL!! I heard of one gardening group called The Dirty Ladies.

Southwest, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! I like that name. There was a garden club around here made up of older ladies called "Late Bloomers". I don't know if they are still around.

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

"Normal Gardener
You are proud of your baby carrots.
Obsessed Gardener
You carry pictures of them in your wallet/purse!"

WV just found this thread but when I was in Alabama I went to a Kmart to get some pantyhose and looked in my wallet to pay for them. I had no cash but I did have a pack of cantaloupe seeds and a pack of cucumber seeds in my change purse. So I guess I am officially obsessed.

Toni

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I just found this thread! How could you get in trouble for watering plants?? I saw some zinnias today at Wally World that were screaming for water--the only reason I didn't buy a bottle of water for them nearby at the checkout, was because it was cold. That's bad for them, right??

LOL, Toni, seeds in your change purse!

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL I know...shameful isn't it? :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.