Ideas for a fence planter box?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I have a picket fence with a cross beam about 3 inches up from the bottom and about 18 inches down from the top. I want to figure out a way to hang a planter box from the cross beam so that my Bleeding Hearts can vine along the fence. Any suggestions? I have seen the boxes that sit on railings, but I need one that can hang from a crossbar. Does this make sense?

Carmichael, CA

Can you just rig something? Screw in long hanging hooks, nail up wome wood and paint it, whatever works? Wiwhout seeing it is hard to figure it out.

We also have a long picket with an entrance in between each side. Each side is about 25 feet long that seperates our two backyards. The last pople to live here put in these odd long planter boxes in the very back and had different veggies dying in them when we got the house in Sept.

Well, that area just does not get enough sun for a garden! lol

So I am going to empty out the long boxes, about 15 feet each and move them to go against the picket fence..I think I will paint them barn red or something and then find partial shade plants to put in them.

I am just going to rig it. lol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Giddy,
Sounds like you will have a pretty "shade" planter box when you are done. I found some "frame" type thingys on MilesKimball site. I think they will work. While my plants are small, the frame will hold the pots, then as they get bigger, I can line the frame with moss or that stuff that you put in for hanging plants (the halfz-heimers is kicking up again), and just put the plants right in that. I hope. Sometimes what you see on-line is not what shows up in your mailbox! So wish me luck. I think your boxes sound great.

Carmichael, CA

Good luck! LOL

Well, I am not too sure how these will turn out as well but they should look fine. The sun filters thru there pretty good. Not enough for veggies..but something..I still haven't figured that part out. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.