Help my adenium!

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok...*deep breath*...so I transferred my adenium to a shallower pot but it is actually quite big. I wanted to encourage the base to plump out. Then, someone suggested I pinch the top because it was too tall. Ok. Then, a friend of mine saw it and said to give it african violet food as they love african violet food. He has three so I figured he must be doing something right. So, I got brave and pinched the top. I had three branches, now it has the two and I pinched the one in the middle. That night I mixed the african violet food and watered it. Now, one branch is really flimsy! The other still seems to be pretty strong, but I'm worried. I used catus and succulent potting mix to plant it, but it seems like it is taking its time drying. I put it outside yesterday because it was supposed to be sunny. When I went out this morning, either it rained a little or the dew made the soil quite moist again. I left it out again today hoping it would get a little warm, but its been overcast for most of the day. I'm thinking I need to 1) transplant into a smaller pot. The only problem with that is that I have been able to find one. I've looked at HP, Lowes, Wal-mart, and a few of the local nurseries. Other than that, I'm not sure what I can do to make my adenium happy. It hadn't bloomed since I bought it last fall. They are so beautiful...I just want to make it happy. lol

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

ShortStuff,

A lesson I have learned-never fertilize a new transplant, especially when you have reduced the rootball. Adenium does like to get completely dry between waterings and it likes warm, warm weather. When you first transplant a container plant you should put it in bright shade, not sun. It doesn't have as many roots so it can't take up water fast enough to handle sun.

My advice is to keep it out of the sun for at least 3 weeks, water once or twice a week, wait a month and then fertilize once a month. Before you fertilize make sure that you water first with plain water a couple of hours before. Don't use tap water or let tap water sit out over night, the water should be air temp.

If you cut back on water the base should swell on its own, that is a process that takes time, years maybe. Leave it in the same container for a couple years, they like to be pot bound. Try not to remove roots, just pot up slowly. I try to give my potted plants morning sun only.

Your plant should recover, but, remember they are slow growing.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, my adenium was doing so much better! I put it outside and that helped dry up the soil... the limb had hardened up... i thought maybe the base had swelled a teeny tiny bit...then disaster struck. Left it this morning and didn't look at the forecast. My relief from work was not there today so I couldn't come home for lunch. About 5 pm it starts pouring down rain. I get home and the poor thing is all wilted again. I brought it in and I am going to attempt to make this poor plant happy AGAIN! Wish me luck!

This message was edited May 1, 2007 6:01 AM

Gonzales, LA

I see from the dates your post is a couple of months old so I assume your plant is better. I thought I would chime in too though. Dale gave you very good advice but I think one other thing might help. Plants as a rule do not like to be moved frequently. Think about it....on their own the adjust to too much rain, or not enough and everything in between. But they never pick up their roots and say, "I think I'll just move over there today", Or "I'm feeling faint, I think I'll retire to the air conditioned room". This is a lesson I learned the hard way many, many years ago. These plants are very stoic and seem to be able to handle anything. If you are feeling more confident about all I have an Adenium Globosa cutting you may have. I've been told it will do everything but form a caudex. Some caudiciforms will from cuttings and some wont. But as Dale said that part takes a long time. The A.Globosa is an odd plant and cool even w/out it bulging belly. If yo want this one you can have for the postage Ok? It's about a foot long.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Shortstuff,
I treat my adeniums like they have a split personality. In the summer I water them (lightly) once or twice a week (depending on temperature). When I say lightly I mean that I spray them on the leaves and caudex until some water runs down onto the soil. Only in triple digit temperatures do I ever wet the soil very much, other wise it is just damp in the immediate area of the plant. This means that the soil definitely dries out between each watering. I live in Phoenix, AZ and my adeniums are in bonsai type pots. I use a spray bottle to water, and I use the same stuff I use for African Violets (which is liquid, for AV's, and on sale). When outside they get morning sun for about 4 hours, and bright but no direct light the rest of the day.

My adeniums spend the cold weather (such as we have) in an east facing window in my living rooms, and get watered once a month (still lightly). I don't move them around except for the seasonal migration to inside/outside.

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

For the last two years I have left this adenium outside all of the time - even during our hard frost/freeze this last winter. It is planted in a porous cactus mix, but receives the same water/fertilizing the others receive. This year I'm going to force myself to prune it back.

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs
Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Wow, Im going to go out on a branch here.
I potted mine with crushed Granite (chicken grit) 60% then 20% pelleted chicken poo and 20% miracle grow or peters potting soil.
This all according to a Thai Growers advice.
I water once a week in the summer and I soak them.
They love it.
I have only lost adeniums in the winter if the soil stayed wet.
I never water if leaves arent present.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.