A couple of hummies

Edinburg, TX

Have been busy photographing butterflies and raising caterpillars that I tend to forget hummingbirds are around. We get them all year around :o)

I had neglected to fill up the feeders and when I was out today in the backyard I kept getting buzzed. I got the hint and made a batch of fresh nectar and filled up the feeders.

Here's some photos from today's visitors.

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

another

Edinburg, TX

by the way...the previous photo and this one if of the head hummie...this one rules the backyard

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

more...

Edinburg, TX

one of the watchers...who always has to wait

Edinburg, TX

..another youngin'

Edinburg, TX

heading towards the feeder

Edinburg, TX

another...

Edinburg, TX

and another...

Edinburg, TX

nectaring on duranta

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Cat - Your hummers are so beautiful!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!!! They are adorable. What I wouldn't give to have a few in my yard ........... (sigh)

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics Cat!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Great pictures! Oh, I just started seeing a few the last couple of days, I can't imagine having that many in my yard !! Yesterday, I saw one pop into one of my pink tulips (they are large tulips!) he pratically disappeared inside it ... and immediately flew away, didn't find anything to drink - come on salvia's penstemons and Hostas BLOOM!!

Edinburg, TX

Would have loved to see a hummie disappear into a tulip! Those birds are small and the blooms so big. That would have been a hoot!!! Duranta is about the only thing blooming really well in the backyard at this time...they do love to nectar on that too.

~ Cat

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I knew you had some hummers up your sleve there Cat... and what a nice variety.. Thanks for taking all the pics and sharing....must be awesome! They are snunning pictures!

Deb

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice series :)

Thanks for share'n,
GD

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh, wowsers, Cat .. some wonderful photos of the hummers!!

Mite you know which hummer specie it is, in your 2nd & 3rd photos -?-
(I'm thinking, the Buff-bellied). Tell us, please ..

- Magpye

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice photos :)

Thanks for share'n,
GD

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

I loved reading about you getting "buzzed" when the Hummer's nectar was low! "My" hummers have me so well-trained, that they even hover in front of my large kitchen window to scold me when their nectar is inadequate! LOL!! They are so bold for being such tiny creatures, but, I humbly (& apologetically) run outside to refill the feeders! -: {-- Samantha

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

wow, I dream of having that many hummers buzzing around.... I have put in so many hummer plants this year, I'm so anxious to see if I get more visitors this summer.

Edinburg, TX

Yes, a buff bellied. The first is a ruby throated. The watcher are buff juvies I think. Never can remember what is what...am just glad we get a nice variety :o)

Got more of those inexpensive mini feeders on ebay. I'd bought two at a local dollar store but couldn't find any more when I went back. I think I wasted three gallons of gas driving to each store in the surrounding cities looking for them again. I like using test tubes and recycled insulin bottles because they only take a small amount of nectar and the hummies eat it up quickly. If I use those big jar feeders the sunlight hitting all that glass really heats up the mixture and spoils it within a couple of days.

~ Cat

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Love your pictures.

Trabuco Canyon, CA

I have several of those small feeders. I bought them at Walmart for 99 cents each. Great pictures!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Great pics Cat!!! Love the Buff Bellied.

Edinburg, TX

Yes...they can be greedy little buggers :o) If the feeders are empty and I walk outside...I get buzzed. They have me trained to feed them!!!

I have all shapes and sizes of feeders and am forever on the lookout for something better. Those 32 ounce jar feeders are great for allowing the juvies to perch and feed...but it's much more fun to get photos of them hovering in front of a feeder that has no perch :o)

Had gone to the ranch this morning and when I got at 4pm I went outside to check on the caterpillars. Yep, got scolded by some hungry beasties! Trouble with using those 10ml or 2 ounce feeders is that they finish them off so quickly!

~ Cat

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Cat :o)

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Cat - I want your "problem" of not keeping the feeders filled fast enough because of all the little hummers! Send some my way!!!! LOL!

Fernandina Beach, FL(Zone 8b)

Becky, still looking? LOL. Had another sighting of my only hummer today!

Edinburg, TX

Don't ya'll remember Frank from California. He'd go through something like 50 pounds of sugar...and he had gobs of those 64 ounce feeders :o) He's probably still posting some amazing photos on the Network54 Hummie forum.

~ Cat

Marlton, NJ

Yes Cat I remember him but haven't seen him posting there at all lately.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

wow - thats alot of sugar... I had one hummer visit last night, I had just refreshed the feeders, he drank once.. flew away came back and looked at the feeder, went away again and came back once more for one more look. What's going on with that?? I mean I'm glad he's here, but does he dislike the nectar I had just made that morning? It's the same as always (4wa/1sugar)

Melbourne, FL

Super shots of those beauties.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.