Hurt Mango Tree - (broken trunk)

Lihue, HI

This will sound crazy but I just bought what I consider an expensive mango tree (ack! 50 bucks!) and it fell over in the truck and the trunk broke about 6 cm above the graft. There was still a little fragment of the cambium still attaching the top to the bottom but all the wood was broken through. The trunk is about 1/4-1/2 cm diameter. I planted it in a big pot when I got home and tried to repair it with wire and tree wound protector - that black stuff - and splinted it with chopsticks then covered the repair with a plastic bag (done within 1 hr of injury). I put a big plastic bag over the leaves, am keeping it in the shade and try to mist it daily but you think there's any chance of this tree surviving or any hints of other things to do to help it through?

Thanks
Cathy - abusive mango parent

Columbus, OH

I'm still trying to get over the fact that such a small tree cost $50! Something only 1/4-1/2 cm could snap very easily. If the break was above the graft, it is possible the plant may have started new growth from that break. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the wound protector will probably work against you in this case. I would remove most, if not all of the leaves, maybe even pruning it back a bunch. What you are doing is essentially trying to perform another graft union. Where did you get the plant by the way? They may also have some suggestions. I've purchased plants from Frankies in Hawaii and they were always much larger than that. This will be a wait and see game. However, my advice is to go purchase a new, larger plant from another nursery and chalk this up to lessons learned. I'm sorry. I really feel bad for you. There's nothing worse than doing something like this yourself. I really would go for the new plant. I would also give your wounded plant some time and see if your repair has any positive results...above the broken portion. If not, I would cut that clean off and hope the little area left above the graft will eventually push new growth...no wound protector. The last resort would be to leave it alone, for good or ill, and keep the rootstock for a future graft. If the rootstock started pushing any growth, I'd let it. My 2 cents. Good luck and keep us informed.

Lihue, HI

Yeah, it was an impulsive-ish buy at the Ace Hardware - but I did have a 25% off coupon which made it about 38 bucks. Strangely enough, getting a plant from another island in the chain is about as expensive as shipping one to the Mainland. I got the urge to get a mango tree b/c a lot of the neighborhood trees are fruiting like crazy and I am covetous but I had been looking for a dwarf type tree for a container and when the tiny garden section at the Ace had the Julie cultivar (maybe 1-2 gal size pot?), I grabbed it! Small is OK here - things grow like crazy - bought citrus in 6" containers 6 months ago that are now 2 ft tall and fruiting.

I went out and took most of the leaves off per your advice and actually measured the tree - the trunk at the base is about 2.5 cm and the grafted portion just before it branches out is about 1.2 cm. I originally posted this under the Australian forum since there is no Hawaii forum before I found the tropical fruit one and obviously my metric conversions are way out of line : P

I guess it could work b/c mangos aren't deciduous therefore they get grafted in a non dormant state, I suppose? Unfortunately, it seemed like an actively growing plant with lots of young leaves and pinkish tips so it may not make it.

Thanks for the tips

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.