Our Local Pet

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

This little guy, has been in the neighborhood since last winter. We believe his mother got killed last dear season..
He has gotton little horns starting..He just roams from one yard to the other.
He eats out of our rabbit food bucket,while hubby is feeding them..
This is a pic of him giving my sister a kiss..We will have to protect him this deer season,because he is afraid of no one.
Oh yes ,He has visited my flowerbeds..Aleta

Thumbnail by AFDolly
Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

This is him really giving her one.That was the wrong pic..Aleta

Thumbnail by AFDolly
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Aleta,

Please don’t take this the wrong way. I am only offering advice that may help you to avoid a costly event for you and your young buck.

Michigan has had problems with Bovine Tuberculosis for a number of years. It moved from cattle to deer and in an attempt to control the disease in the wild deer herds our DNR has taken a number of steps. One of those is a feeding ban on deer in seven counties, including Alcona. You can read all about this at:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37705---,00.html

If you get caught they will fine you and in this case they would transfer your young buck to be tested for TB or just put down. If it is disease free and they didn’t destroy it the buck would be transferred to a wildlife rehabber or more likely a licensed cervidae facility because it is imprinted on humans.

Another thing that you should be aware of is that even tame bucks get “frisky” during rut. I have heard of captive tame bucks that have killed their owners during rut. Your buck will likely have “spikes” this year. A young frisky buck in rut with spike horns can do serious harm to well meaning humans.

If trying to help this buck from the fall hunt means penning the deer you will have to be even more careful. The ticket for that is a lot higher and you will need to keep it penned through archery season (October – November 14), firearm season (November 15 – 30) and the extended archery/muzzleloader season (December).

While I know that you are trying to help you may want to surrender the buck in September. I’d start working on a plan that would ensure that the buck would be tested for TB and permanently placed in a captive cervidae facility. This would be best for all concerned. You will need to proceed with caution because of the TB issue in your area. I wish you luck no matter what you decide to do.

Mark

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes I know all about the T B I have friends that have lost all their catttle to it.. The little buck just comes around from somewhere behind us, and it runs loose
When I was a kid an older woman was killed by her Buck that she had kept..
I was raised on a 500 acre farm in Iosco County.. We used to have 300 to 400 deer in our corn fields.. now we are lucky to see10 in the fields up here
I know all the neighbors will take care of him this fall.We have about 700 acres of private land around us and everyone that owns this property will make sure he is safe.. We only have 1.52 acres,on the main road,so we won`t pen him in .. The DNR knows he is in the area.. My biggest worry here is the black bear.. Our back door neighbors dog had to have over 200 stiches because of a sow. Her cubs were in his apple tree .. We have to take in our bird feeders every nite and put them back out in the morning..
Hubby sat in the radio room ,with his gun, because a bear and our cat were fighting through the patio door. Now, that was a sight. Aleta

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Sounds like you have your bases covered! Keep up the good work!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I know it is so hard to let nature take it's course right in front of you,but I do feel you have done this little guy more potential harm then good down the road. I really do hope you can protect him and bless you kind hearts.

Mannford, OK

Good for you for caring about the little creature!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.