Kind of an edging question

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I have an area of my yard that I am doing a new bed in this spring/summer but the area is a low spot for my neighbor's and my yard (about 1 acre total). This area gets standing water with heavy rains, more so in the early spring and late fall, and winter if there is a good rain on frozen soil or a quick snow melt then freeze, etc. My problem is that I want to have some kind of an edging (I am using the term pretty loosely here) that doesn't block water but also would hold in mulch when this area floods (it is about 4-6" deep at the location I am asking about).

I think I came up with a solution by using miscanthus varieties where the clumps would allow the water to flow through and not cause a problem to my neighbor, but also retain what will be floating mulch. I know it might be hard to picture and maybe I'll post a pic manana since the area is currently holding water. Does anyone see a problem with this or have a similar situation or possible solution? I think I might be thinking about this too much.

Willis

This message was edited Apr 25, 2007 11:29 PM

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!