We're Grandparents!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I volunteer at the University of California Botanical Garden in Berkeley. I propagate cacti and succulents to be sold on our plant deck and at our spring and fall sales. Our spring sale is this weekend.

On Tuesday, as we were finishing potting up our plants, my colleague Tom told me we were grandparents. I asked him what he was talking about, and he took me over to a flat of plants and showed me this little tiny nest with baby birds in it. The nest was no more than 3 ft above the ground! As far as we can tell, it's a pair of Juncos who are the parents. Today all of the sale plants were moved down to the sales area. I had to go by the nest a couple of times, and both times Mama just sat there very quietly rather than flying away. She'll have peace and quiet for the next few days since there's no reason for anyone to be up there. When the sales plants which didn't sell are returned we'll make sure she's well protected from any disturbance. We'll also make sure the family is disturbed as little as possible while the babies are still in the nest.

Does anyone know how long it will be before the babies are ready to fly the nest? Right now they don't even have their eyes open.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Marilyn

Marlton, NJ

Thats cool! They'll fledge in 9-12 days.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks!!

Marlton, NJ

Your Welcome! Be sure to keep us posted about their progress.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll try to remember to take my camera on Saturday. Since they'll be disturbed by moving the plants back anyway, if Mama is off the nest I can get some pictures.

Marilyn

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Congrats! Isn't it exciting?

We have two nests at our house, Wren and Titmouse. I finally dragged the neighbor's ladder over, and put two boards on top of the ladder (I'm short), and got to peek in the titmouse nest inside the basketball pole :) Those babies are a little older than our Wren babies - but I'm slightly worried today because it's suppsed to pour buckets - I hope they'll be okay in there. The nest is incredibly made, and I hope to get it out to show my daughters once they babies have fledged.

I look forward to see your pictures Marilyn!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

How marvelous - can't wait to see photos!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

OK - Here are the photos! At least one of the babies has its eyes open now. I didn't see the parents today though. The nest is no more than 7 inches in diameter

Picture #1

Thumbnail by faeden
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Picture #2 of 6.

Thumbnail by faeden
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Picture #3 of 6.

Thumbnail by faeden
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Picture #4 of 6. They're hungry!

Thumbnail by faeden
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Picture #5 of 6.

Thumbnail by faeden
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Picture #6 of 6. I won't see them again until Tuesday. Do you think there'll be a lot of changes by then?

Thumbnail by faeden
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! How exciting! I can't answer your question. I hope you will post more photos as time rolls along. I've never seen a junco here in SE Texas.

Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

Janet

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

You're welcome. I will post more photos. I want to get pictures of Mom and Dad if I can just to make sure which Junco they are. They weren't around when I took the babies' pictures this afternoon.

Marilyn

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww . . . little treasures, they are!!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I won't see them again until Tuesday

Getting fairly close to fledging by then.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Thanks faeden! Great pics!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

What wonderful pictures...thank you!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

On Wednesday pelletory said it'd be 9-12 days before fledging. That means it still should be 3-6 days from fledging on Tuesday. I wonder how many feathers they'll have?

Marilyn

Auburn, WA

My husband and I are grandparents too! A junko built a nest in the living wreath hanging beside our front door! Ours are just slightly older than yours. They started hatching Saturday, April 21st. We haven't seen that great view of the four hungary mouths open, but are looking forward to it. When we first saw the mom on the nest, she just sat there quietly and looked a bit anxious. We call her Marium. Unfortunately my wreath needs to be watered! I may go out carefully and spray just the plants looking really dry. I don't want to upset these "kids"!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

How neat! Congratulations! I guess Juncos prefer to nest at lower levels. I don't know when ours began hatching. We just discovered them last week. I got the picture of the open beaks because I accidentally made some noise and they instantly went from asleep to "I WANT FOOOD!!" Try that and see what happens.

I imagine if you don't get the nest wet watering the wreath wouldn't hurt anything.

Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.